Stress.....eating

imma_always_b_me
on 1/6/12 7:59 am - MD
Ok i am 3 weeks out and just went through my first major stress during surgery and it reminded me that i can be a stress eater...i immeadiately became hungry for things like pizza or a burger and fries, cake, everything that is so wrong....any tips or sugesstions because i came really close to eating a piece of pizza but i was able to restrain....it made me a little scared though

"Its not how you start, it's how you finish"
Lisa R.
on 1/6/12 8:03 am - CA
 The surgery fixes your body not your brain, that is left to you.  You have to learn to over come those cravings, they are going to happen and they become more common the father out you go.  Eating any of that stuff right now, only 3 weeks out, would be horrible for you, so don't do it.

Best advice, check you insurance and see a therapist to work on your eating issues.  I should have done so myself month ago, I waited too long and now I have depression.  When you loss your coping strategies, like food, it really plays with your brain.  Work on it now.

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
imma_always_b_me
on 1/6/12 8:12 am - MD
I am getting ready to start therapy. It actuall caught me off guard because i havent really had a stress eating issue in about a month and a half but it definitely snuck up on me tonight. My issue with being overweight was not that i over ate or ate unhealthy i would go all day without eating at all body stayed in starvation mode and then i would go through bouts of stress eating

Lisa R.
on 1/6/12 8:38 am - CA
Yeah, you sound like me.  I would eat nothing all day then pig out at night, eat bad food and whatever I wanted.  Then I would eat out of stress or happiness or being bored.  It has been so hard these past months and then today I finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with depressions.  I need to get a therapist because I worry that if I don't I will revert to eating to feel better.  

Get help, and good luck! It isn't easy but be very proud of yourself for getting through this one.  One step at a time, right. 

The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me. ~ Ayn Rand        
imma_always_b_me
on 1/6/12 8:46 am - MD
i can definitely relate to that type of eating....i have battled depression on and off almost my whole life so yes therapy is a neccessity....absolutely one step at a time

longhornrose
on 1/7/12 1:24 am - South Texas
RNY on 09/13/12
Thanks so much for addressing this topic!  I'm new here, and haven't had surgery yet (still in the research stage), but definitely leaning toward having RNY.  I, too, eat when I'm stressed, and depression has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, so it's definitely something I need to think long and hard about before going into this.

I really hope you're able to get some help so you can be as successful as possible with your surgery.  I'll be thinking of you!

Beth

Consult WT: 312   SW274   CW: 244

Most Active
Recent Topics