Fast food & eating out

imma_always_b_me
on 1/6/12 12:16 pm - MD
I am almost 4 weeks out but i have been wondering how do you guys handle eating out, fast food, or wanting foods that are a no no(fried chicken, pizza, chinese, mexican, alcohol, etc) what are your choices or tips?

"Its not how you start, it's how you finish"
poet_kelly
on 1/6/12 12:38 pm - OH
Those foods aren't a no no to me.  They are foods to eat only occasionally, not every day.  So most of the time if I go out to eat I go somewhere with healthy choices but if there are no really healthy options to choose from, I eat a slice of pizza or half a cheese enchilada and some refried beans.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BoomerSooner1
on 1/6/12 12:45 pm
 Took the kids to Culver's tonight and there was nothing on the menu that I could have ( can't do salad until 6 months out. I had a magazine to read while the kids ate. It helped.
 Don't ask me how we lost to Baylor.  I can't figure it Out either!            
aesposito
on 1/6/12 1:32 pm

My ex husband owns a Culvers...they will blend chili for you...give you just the grilled chicken strips without the salad...soup...mashed potaoes if you are allowed...you name it. They are very flexible...

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

seattledeb
on 1/6/12 12:43 pm
 Since I was a junk food/drive-thru junkie before surgery I quit after surgery. I decided I would only eat food at a table..not inhaling it in my car.
Most doctors say no alcohol for a year. There are many good reasons for that..what does your doctor say?
I can not really stomach fried chicken,chinese, or pizza. I can eat about half of the inside of an burrito. Early out I ate refried beans. My local chinese take out went out of business after my surgery.
Deb T.

Hattie T.
on 1/6/12 2:48 pm - Denver, CO
Wow! You are advancing quickly.  My doc has me on "soft and moist" weeks 3 thru 6.  Lots of canned meat, soupy oatmeal, etc.  If you go out, please make sure that you chew VERY well.  Good luck,
Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 1/6/12 8:01 pm
Early out I really did not WANT to eat out.  I had little interest in eating at all.  As I progress some of the items I liked that weren't the healthiest really don't sit well in my pouch so they are something I really don't want to eat anymore.  It is surprising how quickly your cravings can change when something you use to crave does not sit well anymore.  I don't desire pizza, peanut butter, fries, etc. anymore. 

When we go out to eat I often get soup.  Most restaurants have a soup without noodles or rice.
For fast food I often get chili from Wendy's.  If we go to McDonalds I get a salad or order the yogurt parfait, sliced apples, mandrin oranges, etc.  At Taco bell I get pinto beans and cheese. Burger King would be difficult if you can't eat a salad.  But I think they still sell the veggie burger even though it isn't on the menu.  I would just skip the bun.  I don't like how bread sits in my pouch.

Winnie

T. Deeds
on 1/6/12 8:12 pm
When you are further out, there are healthy choices at most fast food, Mexican, and Chinese restaurants.  You can get a grilled chicken sandwich at most places, just eat the chicken part of it.  At a Chinese restaurant, most places will do a lower fat chicken stir fry.  At Mexican restaurants, you can get grilled chicken fajitas with veggies (you don't have to eat the tortillas or sides, I usually do, but in moderation).  Of course, you can get other things that are higher in fat, simple carbohydrates, and/or sugar, but it has to be just a once in a while thing. 

losing-jennifer
on 1/6/12 8:45 pm
Its hard at 4 weeks out. Wendy's chili was something I ate at your stage. 3 months + I was eating the salads. My favorite is McDonald's grilled southwest salad.
Michelle E.
on 1/6/12 9:54 pm
Well, I am over 18 mos out..

Meals on the run and in a pinch

Wendy's - Chili, any 1/2 salads on their menu
Mc D's- Egg Mc Muffin Sandwich (less one side of the muffin), Cheeseburger no bun, apple fries
Subway- Egg White Breakfast sandwich
Vietnamese- Pho Soup with extra veggies
Taco Bell- Fresh Grilled Chicken Taco
KFC- 1 fried chicken wing..(yes remove the skin) with side of green beans
Chinese- My favorite thing is garlic eggplant with tofu but its calorically horrible.. so I dont eat Chinese out.. :( 

I skip the alcohol.. dont need it

Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics