Poo Post. (You've Been Warned.)

Brazilnut2
on 1/10/12 4:16 am - TN

This is me just being open and honest here.

Last Saturday, I spent an hour on the "throne" in absolute agony, passing what felt like a baseball.  I'm pretty sure I tore a little bit.  I've never had constipation that bad in my entire life.  It took two glycerin suppositories and an enema to get relief...which didn't come without extreme pain.

At this point, I'm being extremely careful about what I eat, avoiding wheat products and doing mostly prune juice, coconu****er, water, decaf. coffee, my protein shakes, vegetables, and fruit.  That incident scared me enough to do whatever it takes to be sure it doesn't happen again.  Partly to blame, I think, is the oxycodone I took after my knee surgery three weeks ago.  I'm done with those!

I'm really trying to push the fluids and am getting in at least one dose of Miralax a day, upon the recommendation of my RNY surgeon's office--who didn't feel I needed to be seen.

A couple of questions:

Has anyone had blockage in the descending colon?  If so, what symtoms alerted you?

Processed oatmeal can sometimes stop me up.  Will steel cut oats be OK because of the extra fiber?

Really, I hate to think of what might be sticking around in my intestines, waiting to amass and attack me again.

Jamie B.
on 1/10/12 4:33 am - MI
I. Have. Been. There. Enough said, right? Like you...no symptoms..until the throne experience.

The first time was post-baby. The recent time was when my doc added Iron supplements at my 3 month check up...but I failed to add any additional fiber.

I now happily munch 2 Metamucil Fiber wafers a day!! I get them on Amazon pretty cheap...and all has gone well since then!! 

Hopefully your intestines are not hiding any further suprises, both of mine were isolated "incidents". Good luck!! 
Jamie        
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/12 4:41 am - Canada
yes the Codeine is the culprit !!!

You are doing the right thing - drink lots of water - walk - get more fibre. I get most of my fibre thru a very high fibre cereal.

As far as blockage goes - I do not know the symptoms of that, but I did have someone in my surgery support group that had a twisted colon and it was so painful she was in the ER - with childbirth like pain.

Good luck ! Been there !

BoomerSooner1
on 1/10/12 5:42 am
 Was there about 10 days ago and it was pure hell. I'm currently taking Miralax each morning and it has helped - but I wouldn't describe myself as "regular" yet. I'm still only a month out - so I'm a little afraid of fiber and don't really know what is safe to add. 
 Don't ask me how we lost to Baylor.  I can't figure it Out either!            
CarolBeth
on 1/10/12 5:41 am - SoCal, CA
I have had exactly that situation twice.  I also think I have done some damage.  Horrendous/painful does not even begin to describe it.  After the second episode, I started Miralax every day.  My surgeon's office is one of those that doesn't like people relying Miralax.  My PCP seems to think it's ok.  Anyway, I've been trying to add more fiber now that I can eat more and make sure I get plenty of water in to go with that fiber.  Lots of fiber without enough liquid causes constipation as well.  I am off the Miralax but now am taking stool softeners every day, which my surgeon's office seems to think is ok, plus I throw some benefiber into my food/drinks, and I take some Magnesium.  I still live in fear of ending up with another baseball to pass and constantly wonder if I'm doing enough.  I have a very large ventral hernia right in the middle of my abdomen, so pushing hard is out of the question.  Yet another reason why I fear getting stopped up again!
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

BoomerSooner1
on 1/10/12 5:44 am
 I'd also reallylike to know what stool softeners people are taking. If I add those to the Miralax it might do the trick.
 Don't ask me how we lost to Baylor.  I can't figure it Out either!            
azreggie
on 1/10/12 6:33 am - Tucson, AZ
I take 4 colace a day along with 3 heaping teaspoons of benefiber in my coffee in the morning, seems to keep things running smooth.

Reggie

CarolBeth
on 1/10/12 6:46 am - SoCal, CA
I take the Target store brand of Colace...just called "stool softener".  The bottle says to take a maximum of 3 per day, but I really need 4 when I'm not taking Miralax--two in the morning, two in the evening.
Carol - RNY July 11, 2011

tulips52
on 1/10/12 8:15 am
 I experienced the same thing in the early weeks but I wasn't taken any pain pills! I, too, learned to do everything in my power to prevent those episodes. (It was happening every 2-3 days) I came here to learn what others have done in that situation and glad I did!!! I use stool softeners, Benefiber and Miralax to avoid that situation. Hope you find what works for you!

Rachelq
on 1/10/12 9:31 am - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I had chronic constipation for the first several months post op. I tried everything (no oatmeal...wasn't an allowed food per my surgeon.)

I tried colace, more than required water, etc.

The ONLY thing that helped were glycerin suppositories. I can't recommend them more. They work from the backside, so they don't interfere with diet or supplement intake.

enjoy!

Most Active
Recent Topics