I took a damn NSAID, was desperate

keepitoff91
on 1/27/12 8:14 am
I have been going through the root canal from Hell the past two weeks. My dentist and I DO NOT see eye to eye on how much discomfort I am in, he will only give me one tylenol three every 6hours, and as much as I try to explain it isn't touching the pain, he just won't give me anything stronger. So, I totally caved and took an aleve this afternoon. It did help a bunch at first, but three hours later, I don't feel any more relief. Not worth the risk.

I can't wait until this tooth stuff is over. On the bright side, it hurts to chew, so hopefully I can drop a few pounds while I wait to heal.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 1/27/12 8:27 am
RNY on 01/10/12
 Yeouch.  Can you get him (or your GP) to give you some Percocet?

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

poet_kelly
on 1/27/12 8:46 am - OH
I would find a new dentist.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lilbear412
on 1/27/12 9:25 am - MN
 I'd get the tooth pulled..lol

Laurie says:  Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind  ~~~ dr. suess

Jenspunky
on 1/27/12 1:12 pm, edited 1/27/12 1:13 pm
RNY on 01/16/12

Call your primary care doctor, and please, get a new dentist.  

I remember my poor mother telling me about how she was in agony and her dentist gave her like 5 pain pills and remarked how the city had a drug problem.  She never had a substance abuse problem, and had just had MAJOR dental work done!  

As a nurse, we learn: The pain is "whatever the person experiencing the pain says it is, existing whenever the person says it does."  PERIOD!  Get a new dentist!

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

keepitoff91
on 1/27/12 6:58 pm
Thank you for your support. I cant afford a new dentist. This one already billed my insurance company and I'm Maxed out for the year.

I hardly slept at all tonight, it feels like someone stabbed me in the gums with a hot piece of jagged metal.

Really don't want it pulled. It's a front tooth.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 1/27/12 9:32 pm
I think what people mean by saying "get a new dentist" is to change for future work.  If you need additional pain medicince call you dentist.  Call after hours.  Call in the middle of the night.  If you are in pain make sure he "feels your pain." Then find a new dentist for the future.  Let him know why you are changing.  It is not right for medical professional to withhold reasonable pain medicine.

Also good advice from others was to ask you Primary care doc.  He/she may be willing to give you a prescription to get you through this.

Winnie

keepitoff91
on 1/27/12 11:21 pm
I just left a message on their after hours line. Hopefully they call me back soon.

God help me, I took another dose of motrin at 5 am desperate for sleep.

Frances S.
on 1/28/12 6:20 am - Crystal Falls, MI
 do you have any pain medication left over from your surgery?  lortab?
rbb825
on 1/28/12 5:05 pm - Suffern, NY
DO you have any pain meds left from your surgery>  They would probably be stronger than the codeine #3.  Being it is the weekend, I would either keep calling the dentist till he calls your back or call your PCP emergency line. IF none of thsi works, go to the ER - they will give you something.

Is it possible that something went wrong in the root canal that you are still in so much pain??

I wish you the best of luck - I knowwhat it is like to suffer severe pain and it isn't fun - thankfully I go to painmanagement and get the strong meds I need,

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 116 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 195 views