About to have a mental breakdown!

ashli H.
on 2/18/12 8:24 am - NY
 I have been the same weight for 2 1/2 months now! I am trying and doing everything that i can to lose this weight! I am excersising, and eating right but nothing seems to be working. I am lost and close to giving up! Please i would appreciate some advice, words of wisdom anything!!!! 

Sw: 241 Weight on SD: 221 GW: 130        
krystalpistol
on 2/18/12 8:45 am - TX
RNY on 01/20/12

DO NOT GIVE UP!  Look at how much you have lost so far!  That is so awesome and too much to just quit now. Go back and look at everything in your life over the past two months. Have you started any new meds?  Birth Control?  Drinking while eating?  You can do this! YOU CAN!

Ladytazz
on 2/18/12 8:50 am
Just curious.  What would you do differently if you gave up?  Would you undo your surgery?  Eat all you want?
As it is, are you tracking what you are eating everyday?  You can't make changes unless you are fully aware of what you are doing.  Sometimes we think we are keeping track but we are underestimating what we are eating, or how much,  or not adding in those bites here or there.
I know I sound like a broken record but in all the time I have been around it seems the common, recurring theme is that people that eat refined carbs have a hard time losing all the weight they want.  even though they think they are eating them in moderation, and maybe they are, they are just eating more then their body needs to lose excess weight.  If what you are doing isn't causing you to lose weight then you are in maintenance mode and if you want to go into weight loss mode you need to cut out the extra food and it seems that most times that extra food comes in forms of things with sugar or wheat in it.  Some people just can't eat those in moderation and some people eat more of them then they realize and others just can't handle even a small amount of them.  I don't know where you fall in there or if you even have a problem with them.  It's just what I have seen time and again when people are honest about their intake.  Only you know what you are doing and what you need to change.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/18/12 9:10 am - Baltimore, MD
Your first question was EXACTLY what I was thinking. I was starting to think there are different RNYs given out to different people. I can give up all I want. This pouch ain't holding but so much and if I put the wrong things in it, chaos ensues.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/18/12 9:06 am, edited 2/19/12 12:13 am - OH
 You say you are "close to giving up".  This is not a diet... This is a new eating plan and lifestyle... One that you will need to mantain for life if you do not want to regain... So I assume when you say "give up" you mean going back to the way you were eating before surgery.  I suppose you COULD "give up" but that would mean regaining the weight you have lost... and that seems like an odd response to not LOSING for a couple of months...

Lora
Edited (once again) because of this &#%* Apple auto-correct that changes things to nonsense!

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

avivaps
on 2/18/12 9:21 am
RNY on 02/28/12
I'm still pre-op but have been visiting this site for months now.  I see so many posts of people who are having stalls and the common themes I hear are:

1) people not following the plan ie protein first, not eating with drinking, grazing more, increasing simple carbs etc.

OR

2) not eating enough and falling into starvation mode so that their body slows down to minimize energy use and weight stall ensues.

Not sure if you fit into either of these catagories, but I guess you should sit down and see if either of these apply to you.   If the former holds true then I guess getting back to the basics of journalling and monitoring would be the way to go.  If it is the latter, remind yourself what/how you should be eating at this stage and commit to fine tuning in that direction.

I think in writing to you I am trying to prepare myself for what seems the inevitable stall that I know I will surely also experience.  As others have said so often on this site, this is a lifelong commitment, a change to a healthier lifestyle and (my mantra) it is a marathon and not a sprint.

Hang in there.  You must already have seen fantastic results to date given your weight loss.  Keep focussed forward, remind yourself of all the NSV's you have seen to date and those that are still to come.

Andrea.
seattledeb
on 2/18/12 9:52 am
 Good for you for getting all that education before surgery. I still grant you one "Help I haven't lost any weight in X amt. of time". I don't think I will give you the 3 week one..that one has been done to death!
Try the 3 or 6 month one. 
Mine was at 7 months. Suddenly I could eat more. I was absolutely in a panic and sure I would gain every pound back.
Deb T.

Cleopatra_Nik
on 2/18/12 9:54 am - Baltimore, MD
If you are exercising...dare I say...are you eating enough? Do you log your food?
Renee2be
on 2/18/12 9:54 pm - NC
I have about 3 stalls since my surgery. 

Each time though the scale quit moving my body got smaller i went down a size.

2.5 months is long for a stall,  but have you done you rmeasurements?

The others have asked all the right questions as well so i wont go there.  But dont give up.  For mei would be disappointed,  if i stopped losing bu ti would never want to go back.  As i have a whole new life, already.  That i can actually enjoy and am not embarrassed to be out in public.  My highest weight in life was 315 lbs.  I was 263 at the start of the surgery process.  I am now 195 as of this morning.  I havent seen this weight since high school.

flyingwoman
on 2/19/12 12:59 am
I have been stalled for 2 months too. I really am there with you on the frustration front. But this is part of post-op life!

I don't know how long ago you had your surgery, but you were a bit of a light weight when you started. You are in that zone where losing gets harder and comes more slowly.

I would say a few things:

- Make sure your goals are realistic. 130 is a low goal - did it come from your surgeon? Are you on the short side?
- If you aren't logging everything you eat, start now. Measure everything, log everything in a site like myfitnesspal. Be very honest and see how your calories are trending. This will help you reveal if you are taking in too much or too little - both can contribute to stalls.

Starting BMI 69 w comorbidities | 55 of the weight lost above was pre-op.    
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 54 replies · 328 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 499 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 569 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 559 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 286 views
Recent Topics