"How much have you lost"

happy_baker
on 2/26/12 7:47 am
RNY on 02/15/12
I agree with Poet Kelly, here.

I am still fresh out the gate, so I haven't had that experience yet, but when it starts happening, I fully intend to simply smile and answer, "A lot".

Nobody bothered to ask me how much I'd gained when I started ballooning up, so I don't figure it's any more their business to know how much I've lost, either.
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
Ashley K.
on 2/26/12 7:53 am - GA
I don't understand why it's so bothersome for you guys. I love it when people ask because I'm proud of my accomplishment. At the same time, they generally tell me I look great or compliment me on the weight loss. It always makes me feel good to tell whoever it is that asks how much I've lost.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/26/12 11:28 am

I mind because if I say I lost 100 and still have 70 more to lose you can see them doing the math. 

Winnie

Ashley K.
on 2/26/12 12:36 pm - GA
 I can see your point. I'm just comfortable with who I am. If they judge me for how much I weighed previously, that's on them. I really couldn't care less.
poet_kelly
on 2/26/12 11:33 am - OH
I'm proud of my accomplishment, too, but I am somewhat embarrassed about how much I used to weigh and I don't like talking about that with people I barely know.  And in this society, it's generally considered impolite to ask people about how much they weight.  It's just not good manners.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ashley K.
on 2/26/12 12:40 pm - GA
 That's a very valid point and I definitely do understand. It doesn't bother me how much I weighed in the past because that's not the person I am now. I guess I'm just comfortable talking about it now for whatever reason. When I was bigger, I was extremely uncomfortable talking about how much I weighed and it was a very sensitive subject for me. I do see both sides.
poet_kelly
on 2/26/12 12:47 pm - OH
See, some people are comfortable talking about their weight, just like some people are comfortable talking about sex or all sorts of other "sensitive" subjects, but I think since many people are not comfortable and it's generally hard to predict who will be comfortable and who won't, it's bad manners to ask someone how much they weigh or how much they've lost.  You can compliment someone about their weight loss without asking for numbers.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ashley K.
on 2/26/12 12:51 pm - GA
Very true! I guess I didn't really look at it that way. I'm only comfortable with it now because I have a much higher self esteem than I did when I was big and I guess it's just so nice to hear my new weight out loud. Lol. That sounds kind of stupid and childish I guess, but I'm really happy that I've made it this far. I do have about 45 or so to lose still, too. I've never really run into a situation where people other than my close family have asked how much I plan on losing total.
richarddavis196
on 2/26/12 9:00 am - VA
I usually ony answer people I trust are asking for the right reasons.  Others that annoy me, I tend to be more sarcastic towards.

Just last Friday, I responded to the "how much are you going to lose?" with - the voices in my head are still arguing over it, I'll let you know.

Good Luck

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/26/12 11:30 am
Now,  I like that response!!!

Winnie

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 353 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 254 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 344 views