Any Recipes for Roasted Chickpeas (Garbanzo)????

JerseyJim
on 2/27/12 9:15 am - Sayre, PA
I know I could probably do a search for recipes on the site, but I'm lazy and I'm looking for the easy way out. 

So if you have any recipes, please share them.  I have five cans of garbanzo beans waiting to be roasted up for snacking purposes and would like to try out a few different recipes.

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

YankeeRose
on 2/27/12 9:20 am - Meadville, PA
I don't personally have one but I have seen Kelly post a few recipes. Maybe you could message her?

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

poet_kelly
on 2/27/12 10:16 am - OH
I drain and rinse them, the put a kitchen towel on a baking sheet and spread out the chickpeas and pat them dry.  Then remove the towel, drizzle them with olive oil, stir well and spread in a single layer.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 50 minutes (yes, they take a while if you want them crunchy), stirring a couple times while baking.

Then season them however you want.  I use lots of salt and this creole seasoning, but I've also done garlic salt and parmesan, and even cinnamon and splenda.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JerseyJim
on 2/27/12 11:24 am - Sayre, PA
Hmmm, I never thought about them getting crunchy. I was sort of expecting something more like a roasted potato, but crunchy is great. Thanks for the recipes Kelly, I'm going to try all three tomorrow. I can't wait to try them.  :)

HW: 418 SW: 386 CW: 225 GW: 210

poet_kelly
on 2/27/12 11:25 am - OH
You don't have to make them crunchy if you don't want.  But I eat them in place of a salty crunchy snack like chips.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

nkara
on 2/27/12 10:20 am
 oh all of those sound good... I'm gonna have to buy some tomorrow and make that... maybe I'll make three trays!  
 Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Gypsyw0lf
on 2/27/12 11:33 am - Regina, Canada
 Weird question..and a thanks

So if we roast chickpeas till they are basically a crunchy lil nugget, do they really have the same calorie count as if say we just warmed them and ate them like that? 

I guess like toast has less calories than bread...cause the heating process burns away calories.  I know I know I'm overthinking it, but I made these on the weekend, the hot batch were yummy but I didn't cook them long enough, thanks Kelley for the upgrade on the amount of time, I liked the super crisp ones better.  

But a 1/2 cup of these is like 143 calories and 27 of carbs... not something I believe I can have very often if this is the case :)  still way better than chips!

Anyways that is my odd question, if they are roasted until they are just crisp little shells, would they stil have as high of carb and calorie count.

Gypsy

poet_kelly
on 2/27/12 1:30 pm - OH
Toast has less calories than bread?  I've never heard that.  If the heating process burns away calories, then does that mean all food loses calories when it's cooked?  That doesn't sound quite right to me.

Gypsyw0lf
on 2/28/12 1:22 am - Regina, Canada
 Well my unscientific or my grade 8 sciene experiements may not be written in gold :)  

When we were doing science experiments on calories, essentially calories have so much 'burn' power, or fuel.  when we burn away some of that fuel (by toasting only, cooking in juices and water does not burn away the calories) you are consuming some of the available calories before eating.

Example, A piece of bread.  You toast it, it burns away some of the carbohydrates, water and other nutrients on the outside, but the inside may still be soft.  If you continue to toast it, the weight of the bread dramatically chances as well as the available calories to eat.  If you continued to toast it, it would turn to ash and have no more calories

So my theory is that with chickpeas, if you toast them until there is no 'soft' on the inside, essentially you are burning off calories in that 'soft stuff'  

the caloric different may be insignificant too...I think I over think stuff.

seashell6417
on 2/27/12 12:25 pm - Gaylord, MN
I do them similar to Kelly except I skip the oil until after they are almost completely roasted.  Mine seem to get crunchier and stay that way longer if I initially roast them without the oil.  Not sure if the oil coats the beans and locks moisture in or what.  I do use the oil for the last few minutes and also add the seasonings at that time as well.
Tami

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 383 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 321 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 119 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 109 views