HAVING PROBLEMS LOSING THE LAST 20LBS

FIRSTMAMA25
on 3/2/12 3:51 pm - CONROE, TX

OKAY I  WILL BE A YEAR POST-OP IN MAY, I HAVE LOST 92 LBS, I AM REALLY WANTING TO LOSE 20 MORE LBS, AND I WAS THINKING ABOUT STARTING MY PRE-OP SURGERY DIET AGAIN, WITH PROTIEN SHAKES FOR BREAKFAST AND LUNCH, AND MEDIFAST SOUP FOR DINNER, WOULD ANYONE SUGGEST THAT I DO THAT.

Andi190827
on 3/2/12 5:00 pm, edited 3/2/12 5:00 pm - Fort Leavenworth, KS
I'm not sure I'd do that. I'd look at my current diet and see where I could tweak things to get my tool working again. When I was 20lbs from goal I was eating 1000-1200 calories a day, 80-100g of protein a day and 64+oz of water a day. If I'm filling up my tool/tummy with protein first then it leaves little room for carbs. Which or me, carbs = no weight loss. I say go back to basics but not way back to pre-op basics.
GL!
Andi
Andi Highest 278 lbs, Pre-op 269 lbs, Goal/Current 150/160 lbs
Currently looking into plastics...

Change the voices in your head... Make them like you instead.

FIRSTMAMA25
on 3/2/12 6:08 pm - CONROE, TX
THANX
nancy409
on 3/2/12 7:40 pm - PA
I am where you are right now.  I will be a year out in April, lost 96 pounds, want to lose at 15-20 pounds more but am playing with the same 2 pounds up and down for several weeks.  Eating about 1000 - 1200 calories a day, hitting the gym 2-3 days a week, plus packing to move in between.  Wish those last few pounds would come off.  I know I am still losing inches but not the actual pounds, go figure???

bowknot
on 3/2/12 10:02 pm
Try a food log for a few days. The further out you are the easier it is to let food sneak back into your day. The log is a reality check on your intake. Then back to the basics...protein firs****er...you know the drill.

Kay
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/2/12 10:42 pm, edited 3/2/12 10:44 pm - OH
Warning: slight sarcasm ahead... No one get your panties all in a bunch about the "tone" (or just stop reading now)

Sure, you can throw away everything you have (presumably) learned about healthy eating over the past year and go back to the same type of deprivation dieting mentality that kept you (and the rest of us) obese -- and losing and regaining weight -- for so many years.... OR you could continue what you have been doing for the last year (and will, BTW, need to do for the rest of your life in order to MAINTAIN your weight loss)... and be patient (there is nothing magical about losing all of your excess weight in 12 months or 14 months or whatever)... and just take a look at whether you have perhaps allowed too many carbs to creep back in or if your portion sizes have crept up too much or if you you are not getting enough fluids or protein.  Doing the former will just reinforce a lifetime of dieting; doing the latter will reinforce the healhy eating patterns that will help you keep the weight off without having to resort to having nothing but liquids. 

Consider what your approach will be when/if you start to regain... Will you go back to depriving yoruself of real food and have only liquids then, too... or will you take a look at what caused the regain and address the problem so you can avoid having the problem AGAIN in the future?

It is always hard to lose teh last few pounds because you weigh less and therefore the daily caloric deficit is MUCH smaller than when you were heavier.  Clearly, my recommendation is that you stay the course, eliminate any extra carbs and PASS on teh fad dieting.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

illinois Gama D.
on 3/2/12 11:02 pm
are you geting in all the daily protien , are you taking vitamins, and getting in all you r fluids??? and here  it comes, ready....... are you exercising????i agree, back to the logging it all, carbs are our enemy and do have a way of getting into our diet again,,,,  and i think most have  had a hard time with the last few pounds, some  but not all fell below goal      good luck,
keepitoff91
on 3/2/12 11:27 pm
My goal is to get down another 9-19 lbs. Currently, I have been losing and regaining the same 4 lbs, week after week. So, I have hit a plateau and have been very lazy about busting through it. I could change things up, but I am pretty comfortable with how I look and feel right now. I am enjoying life and feel like if I want to shed those last pounds I will be on a "diet". I hate diets.

Ultimately I understand its up to me and how much I actually want that final number.

Judy M.
on 3/3/12 2:28 am
the less body fat one has the more slowly it releases.  I would ( if I were in the same position) ramp up excercise rather than diet signifigantly as you suggest as it could make your metabolism rebel so when you go back to "normal" eating you could have problems maintaining your weight.  Maybe .....

hedrider
on 3/3/12 6:00 am - Midlothian, TX
 I agree with the poster above.  Don't feed back into the diet mentality.  

Track your food and exercise for a few days.  Where are you slipping up?  Are you maintaining a primarily  protein first lower in simple carbohydrate (breads, pastas, etc) diet?  Are your calories higher than they need to be for your activity level?  Are you eating sugars or high fats?

Chances are extremely good that if you just tweaked what you are eating into a more "textbook" RNY diet you will lose those last 20 or so pounds.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Most Active
Recent Topics