Denied

random0101
on 3/8/12 4:11 am, edited 3/8/12 4:12 am
I found out that I've been denied.  The insurance company said I don't have 2 years worth of medical documentation supporting the fact that I'm obese.  WHAT??  My surgeon has 14 days to appeal.  AARRHGGHGHAAHGHAH

My insurance company is Aetna.  Would like to hear from anyone who was denied for the same reason and who won on appeal.  If so, what did you do?  I've left a message for my surgeon and will be working with him but everyone here has such great advice that I'd love to hear from you as well. 

And if you were denied but didn't win on your first appeal, what did you do to keep from going crazy?  I suppose I can wait it out but I was really hoping to get going!

Thanks, M

poet_kelly
on 3/8/12 4:45 am - OH
Do you have two years worth of medical documentation? If so, was it sent to the insurance company?   Sounds like you just need to send them the information.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

random0101
on 3/8/12 6:54 am
My surgeon was supposed to send it but I need to verify that.  I haven't been able to speak with his office yet today.  Assuming it was sent, I'm concerned that it may show I wasn't morbidly obese (based on standard BMI measurements) exactly 2 years ago.  As with many people, I've gone up and down throughout my life so 2 years ago I weighed less than I do now although I was starting to gain again.  I just don't know how exact the documentation has to be.  If I was obese 4 years ago, lost weight so that I was somewhere between overweight and obese two years ago but am now morbidly obese again will that be good enough? 

Hopefully, I'll connect with my surgeon soon to see what was sent.

Thanks, M
poet_kelly
on 3/8/12 7:12 am - OH
I don't know if that would be good enough or not but you can certainly try to make a case for it.  You could write a letter explaining how you have sometimes lost some weight but always regained and you could send documentation going back several years to prove that.

But it could just be that they did not receive all the paperwork they needed from the surgeon,  Sometimes the surgeon's staff accidentally leaves out something or sometimes they fax it all but something gets lost on the other end.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Skinnygirlme
on 3/11/12 6:05 am - UT
RNY on 09/05/12
 Good luck! I know his much this must mean to you!
  I believe in me...the best is yet to be!                        
Most Active
Recent Topics