Down and out after 1 year!

Smileygrl810
on 3/13/12 9:39 am

March 17th will be my one year anniversary. My emotions are CRAZY! My highest weight was 318lbs. When I started this process I weighed 294lbs. On the day of surgery I was 265lbs. Today I am 175lbs. YES! I'm happy about it. However... My surgeon told me around my 3 month mark that I could easily get to about 135lbs. That's 40lbs away. I am not seeing that in my future and it's getting me down. Not to mention... my skin. My thighs, my tummy, my butt, my arms and my boobs... my poor boobs!!! One minute I'm feeling great and the next I'm crying. I hate my new body. Somedays I look at myself and see a whole new person and some days I look and see the same fat person I used to be. I'm on antideppressants. I exercise. I take all my vitamins. I've met with a psychiatrist. I'm just a hot mess most days.

Has anyone else gone thru this same thing???? I'm emotionally and psyically ugly and in need of advice. HELP!!!!

~Kelly

Highest Weight: 318 lbs
Surgery Weight: 265 lbs
Current Weight: 183 lbs
Goal Weight: 145 lbs 
DisneyLover
on 3/13/12 9:49 am - WI
I don't know how tall you are, but I started at 320 and I am 5'11".  I am 15 months post op and weigh in usually at 175.  I am very happy with my weight and so is my surgeon.  Then we switch gears to what is 'left'.
My legs are terrible, stomach bad, bat wing arms and there is nothing left of my poor boobs.  I spend 10 minutes a day trying to pack what is left of them into my cleaveage inducing bra.  Those parts make me sad.  But then when I look back to being 320, that is when I was really SAD.
I am not in a depressed state, but I will get bummed feeling sometimes.  Keep working with your medical staff.
The exterior stuff can be fixed with surgery.  The brain stuff can't.

Sarah

Smileygrl810
on 3/13/12 10:11 am
I'm only 5'6. I feel like if I had my skin removed I'd lose a good 10 pounds but other than that... I just don't know. I'm in a size 12 and don't know if I can get into anything smaller than that without skin removal. My mom (who is very honest and blunt) doesn't think I look 175 at all. She said if she had to guess how much I weighed she would guess about 130-140. I WISH!!!!!!

Beagles33
on 3/13/12 10:14 am - CT
 Remember not to focus on the weight number.    Look at the BMI for guidance.  You look terrific so stop worrying!
Smileygrl810
on 3/13/12 10:28 am
I'm still 3 points away from a "normal" BMI. I know... I'm just a Debbie downer right now and looking at all the bad instead of the good things. I know there a lot of good things... The bad ones are just over powering at the moment...

Carrie W.
on 3/13/12 10:34 am - KY
I'm nearly a year out and I'm also about 40lbs from goal weight. I've also got skin and jigglies. I look in the mirror and see fat too. My thighs are horrible. I think I might be a normal looking person without the thighs. I have several pairs of 12s I can wear and some 15s I can't fit into.

I'm trying to focus on being fit instead of the scale and my clothes size. I ran 4.3 miles this morning before work. Never could have done that before and guess what! There really aren't that many "normal" or skinny people who can do that either.

I'm sorry you're having troubles now. What does your surgeon say about getting plastics? Are there local support groups?
  HW 347/SW 328/CW 176/GW 160                   

jmelyn1977
on 3/13/12 10:38 am
I can absolutely relate!! I have all of the above. The skin... BLECH!!!! My attitude... BLECH!!! Today is my 11 month surgiversary and I feel like ****!
Thanks for letting me add to this post! Just needed a little vent!

ddematteis
on 3/13/12 10:59 am - FL
 I look at it from the other side of the coin, i'm 5' 8" and weigh 317lbs,  i have bat wings and saggy thighs and national geogrphic breast as is and i have rolls and my love handles make it look like i have boobs on my back and they are bigger than the ones up front lol.  did you like the way you looked before surgery??  i know i hate looking in the mirror and i figure if nothing else i will look decent in clothes after i lose weight i dont look good even with clothes on now .  i welcome saggy skin as long as i can walk up a flight of stairs without feeling like a just ran a marathon.  you look FANTASTIC, i hope by the end of the day you feel as fantastic as you look
Smileygrl810
on 3/13/12 10:45 am
I haven't talked to my dr about plastics yet. However... as bad as I want it... It's soooo expensive.

Vent away! I'm having a pity party... anyone is welcome!!!! 

Zeigled
on 3/13/12 1:13 pm - Parkton, MD
I agree with dedemmatteis....

I think we try to avoid remembering what we looked like before surgery naked....beleive me, not so good.  Now we have saggy everything but we can breath, our hearts are back to normal, we can sleep without stopping breathing, we can go for a walk without back - leg - everything pain.   We fit in a regular bathroom stall, we fit in a booth in the restaurant, I can move by other chairs in a restaurant without my butt or stomach hitting people in the head...there are so many advantages over just appearance.   Maybe just take 10 minutes to write down 10 things that are better now.
HW 357 SW 341   

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 561 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 547 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 258 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 15 views