Anxiety about Food

jdragr
on 3/18/12 11:30 pm - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with
I am 5 weeks out and find myself anxious about trying new foods.  Anyone else have this problem?   
SW 296

MichelleNC
on 3/18/12 11:35 pm
I haven't had the surgery yet but this weekend I was thinking about anxiety after surgery. I am curiuos to hear the responses you get. I told the Dr I am scared to death of getting something stuck in my throat, pouch, or tearing my insides up so whatever he says is a go I will do. But not until he tells me.

What have you tried and do you have any foods that make you extra anxious?

Michelle
Did the happy dance onto the Loser's Bench March 18, 2013!

Visit my blog at http://skinnyundermyfat.blogspot.com/

oxfordcat
on 3/18/12 11:36 pm - NJ
i was very nervous.  I just took my time.  I am still hesitant bc i don't want to fall into bad patterns.  You will find your comfort zone.  Just try small portions of what the dr says you can have.  If you haven't tried chili, you should.  lentils.  greek yogurt.  Go small and chew any new proteins (chicken, beef, lamb (that was the easiest for me)...  and just bc you have a bad time this try, doesn't mean you can't eat it ever again....

Good luck.
"Something has changed within me. Something is not the same". Elphaba    
Tonya499
on 3/18/12 11:54 pm - Riverton, UT
I am 10 weeks out and still won't eat a new food in public.  I have thrown up a couple of times and it does have me on the nervous side.  I am working through it though.  Good luck to you.

Tonya

Start weight 226. Surgery weight 218 on 1/6/12    
paranoidmother21
on 3/19/12 12:02 am - Lake Zurich, IL
Yes, early out I was VERY hesitant, and generally didn't eat anything in public that I had not first eaten in private!

It's probably a good way to be for now. Your pouch, while generally healed, is still tender and freaking out about food touching parts that were never touched before. So even something it likes may set you off for a bit longer.

Hang in there, it WILL settle down (I promise you!!!), and you'll be fine.
Rebecca
Circumferential LBL, anchor TT, BL/BR, brachioplasty 12-16-10 Drs. Howard and Gutowski

Thigh lift 3-24-11, Drs. Howard and Gutowski again!
Height 5' 5".  Start point 254.  DH's goal: 154.  My guess: 144.  Insurance goal: 134.  Currently bouncing around 130-135.

slashes
on 3/19/12 1:03 am, edited 3/19/12 1:04 am
I was nervous at the beginning and I am still hesitant trying new things while I am out, BUT I am one of those lucky ones that have not had any issues with food at all.  No dumping or anything. I can pretty much tolerate anything. The only issues I had was with cereal, but that was just stupidity on my part.
I have not had anything with heavy sugar though and I am not going there any time soon - just in case.

Hang in there and just go for it when you are ready.

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

momjan
on 3/19/12 2:03 am - Canada
To the OP - be hesitant, but not afraid.  Might want to follow other suggestions of trying it at home first in case their are any repercussions!  And yes, sometimes you might eat something and be fine and the next time your stomach might not like it as much.  Doesn't mean you will vomit, just might be a little uncomfortable.

And if you are wise, you will not push yourself to see if you can eat sugar...or white carbs like bread, pasta, rice, etc. 

Remember your stomach is now very small, so only fill it with useable, useful protein and veg and not the white junk processed stuff; you don't need it!
summerjoyZ
on 3/19/12 2:10 am, edited 3/19/12 2:12 am - TN
 I am 6 weeks out and I am so afraid to try new foods. I always end up throwing up when it doesnt agree and I hate it.  I cant eat chili or chicken. My doc says I should be having chicken and veggies, but my pouch doesnt agree. 

chatterpam
on 3/19/12 2:28 am - PA
A couple of suggestions that helped me out. Take very small bites and chew them very well (I chewed 15 times per). Also put the fork/spoon down between bites. Wait about 60 seconds before the next bite. These are things the nut told me because I was having similar issues. I don't have them as much these days, but still occasionally when I am very hungry I take too large a bite or don't chew it enough.

Also, I am 9 months out and still can't eat chicken (unless it's chopped up really fine and loaded with gravy...LOL) - it doesn't go down. I can't eat bread either for the same reason. I couldn't tolerate cooked veggies for about 3 months and raw ones until about 7 months.

Try different things and try not to get discouraged!

jdragr
on 3/19/12 2:40 am - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't thrown up at all. I have been dealing with nausea on a daily basis although it is better now. I have zofran for it.

I have had one time when I felt nauseous and broke out in sweats. It was after I ate tuna salad that I prepared myself. Don't think it could be dumping because there wasn't any sugar in it. I just figured I must have eaten too fast.

SW 296

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 422 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 508 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 490 views