4 Days after Surgery and in So Much Pain....

Kalyssa
on 3/23/12 11:01 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
 Everyone says hw great this surgery is but they forget to tell you about the pain that you endure the days afterwards.  I cant sit, lay, stand. nothing.  I am swollen and my heart is racing.  Any ideas of what I can do.

Please HELP!
taylorwayzz
on 3/23/12 11:06 am - MI
It is painful, but you should start to feel better soon. I dont regret having rny for one minute. It has changed my life in so many ways. Once you see the weight loss and start to feel better, you will be glad you did it and realize the pain was well worth it. Hope u feel better soon, just try to relax as much as u can!!!
 Lynnette                 
A. C
on 3/23/12 11:08 am
take your pain meds as prescribed, if it doesn't help CALL THE HOSPITAL where you had your surgery and ask for help!
good luck!

HW: 376   SW: 354  

sandyfeets
on 3/23/12 11:10 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with
Your heart racing is probably a reaction to pain.  
TAKE your pain meds.   Stay on TOP of the pain.  If your script says take every 4-6 hours as needed.  I am suggesting that you take them every 4 hours like clockwork.  No, I am NOT a medical professional, just personal experience from my own RNY, then leak surgery and three hernia surgeries.  The pain med is there for a reason.   
It's harder to rein in the pain past a certain point, rather than keeping it in check.  

As for the swelling, that is all the gas they pumped into your abdomen to do your surgery.   WALK, walk. walk.  This will move the gas out of your system.  Also use the spirometer you should have gotten in the hospital to so those breathign exercises.  That helps too.
Cry if you need to---have a pity party and buyer's remorse.   Most of us did.  But it does get better.

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 3/23/12 11:10 am
RNY on 01/10/12
I'd be a bit concerned about the racing heart.  Call your doc.  (I don't care that it's after 9 on a Friday night.  That's what s/he's there for.)

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Kalyssa
on 3/23/12 11:19 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
 I did.  I have edema in my legs from the surgery he says if it doesnt go ago by tomorrow I need to go back to the hospital.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/23/12 11:19 am - OH
A certain amount of pain is normal (and some people have lower pain tolerances), as is swelling that can be fairly aignificant, but I share the other posters' concerns about your racing heart rate.  Yes, increased heart rate can be a reaction to pain and stress, but if you are in such significant pain that the pain is causing the heart rate increase, you need to increase our pain meds or change meds. If, however, the heart rate is NOT a reaction to pain, you need to find out what is causing it.  In either case, you need to call your surgeon.  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

1Haute Diva
on 3/23/12 11:33 am - Fort Stewart, GA
RNY on 03/20/12
Hey surgery twin! Did your nurses tell you to stay on top of the pain? Don't wait, as soon as the allotted time has gone by take it right away. Also walk, my nurses had me walking at least every 2 hours. Not far, just up the hallway and back. It helps with the gas pains.

Now that I'm home I also make sure I walk and take my meds on time. Right now I believe most of my pains are gas related.
- Shaw

sarahmathis1681
on 3/23/12 11:35 am
RNY on 02/13/12
 i was in alot of pain for the first week as for gas, Gas X strips worked for me as well as walking make sure you take your pain meds it does get better i promise im almost 6 weeks out and i thought i was going to die the first couple of days it was truly "Hell Week" for me but everyone is different

http://www.weight-loss-center.net

Kalyssa
on 3/23/12 11:39 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
 Hey Diva..Yeah I have been walking and walkng and walking.  Taking all meds.   I have been releasing gas all day so I dont think its that.  I having trouble standing and sitting.
Most Active
Recent Topics