Do you wish you had the sleeve?

bethmalone
on 3/31/12 12:08 am
 Ok, so I'm pre op, band to ?????.  At first I was RNY all the way.  Then I lurked over to the vsg  boards.  After a week or so I posted a question of "why vsg and not rny" ?   I got lots of replys and also looked thru months of posts and noticed the same question was asked several times a week.  It seems I'm not the only pre-op that troubled with this decision.When I had my wls in 4/08, Lap Band was literally all I heard about non stop, it was like no other wls surgeries existed anymore.  And yes, I was so desperate to have wls, I took the lap band thinking I would have thiswonderful (complication free ha ha ha) surgery .  Needless to say I'm over my pre op weight.  SO I see a lot of posts saying their insurance wont cover Sleeve so they've stayed with RNY.  I'm a mexico self pay so it is totally 100% MY decision of which surgery I WANT.  (sleeve is a *****eaper tho)  I've had tons of convincing posts about sleeve.  Now I wanna see if the RNYers are as passionate about their choice???  I'm not a volume eater, but carbs & sweets grazer....
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/12 12:14 am - OH
 Personally, if I were making the decision today instead of 5 years ago, I would go with the sleeve.  Yes, the caloric malabsorption of the RNY helps the weight come off faster, but it is only good for about 18 months and then pretty much all you have is the restriction of the pouch anyway (which is what you would have with the sleeve)... PLUS not being able to take NSAIDs and having lifelong vitamin malabsorption.  The restriction on NSAIDs might not be an issue now, but consider carefully only having the option of taking Tylenol OR prescription medications for pain for the rest of your life (including down the road when you might need pain meds daily for arthritis).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bethmalone
on 3/31/12 12:21 am
 Thanks for your honest answer.  I was afraid some RNYers would be offended. Some people feel this is an attack on what they chose, but I'm truly non judgemental about this.  I know how lazy I can be about taking pills ( birth control pills was never an option for me cuz I KNEW I would forget to take them) So I truly don't want the malabsorption of RNY vitamin wise. With the fear of dumping on sweets, I just HAVE to change my eating habits MYSELF.  With my luck, I wouldn't dump anyways.  I have 100-120 to lose and I don't care if it takes 1 year or 2 years or 6-8 months, so speed of losing isnt a concern for me, I will be estatic to see the scale go down after all my heartbreak of a lapband failure.  
dasie
on 3/31/12 12:39 am

I was a volume eater, grazer, sugar...all of the above.  I do not dump, wish I did, but it did keep me honest for one full year.

One aspect about the sleeve is it is the first stage to a DS.  My surgeon was leaning towards the sleeve, I think (he would not say...he only said NO Band) and told me if Ichose the sleeve and  had regain years out, he could go in and convert into the DS.  It is like an insurance policy.  I was 54 at the time and knew I did not have ime on my side.  I could not afford to lose, regain, firght the process or have to self pay in the event I regained weight.  I felt the RNY would give me the absolute best  opportunity.  My calcium issue was pure stupidity on my part.  It took me far too long to solve the constipation issue, and that is the only reason I slacked on calcium.  You are so wise to ask these questions.

Cheryl N.
on 3/31/12 1:44 am - Des Moines, WA
On March 31, 2012 at 7:39 AM Pacific Time, dasie wrote:

I was a volume eater, grazer, sugar...all of the above.  I do not dump, wish I did, but it did keep me honest for one full year.

One aspect about the sleeve is it is the first stage to a DS.  My surgeon was leaning towards the sleeve, I think (he would not say...he only said NO Band) and told me if Ichose the sleeve and  had regain years out, he could go in and convert into the DS.  It is like an insurance policy.  I was 54 at the time and knew I did not have ime on my side.  I could not afford to lose, regain, firght the process or have to self pay in the event I regained weight.  I felt the RNY would give me the absolute best  opportunity.  My calcium issue was pure stupidity on my part.  It took me far too long to solve the constipation issue, and that is the only reason I slacked on calcium.  You are so wise to ask these questions.

WHy are your posts "blacked" out? Hard to read and I have to highlight it to read it.

246 in Dec 2008 before banded 1/28/09 at 215 lbs, band crapped 9/09 at 170 lbs and struggled with it and regained to 203 revised to bypass on 8/1/11 and am very happy.

dasie
on 3/31/12 5:38 am
I do not know if you will be able to see this....There is some sort of glitch between the software I use and this site.  It does not happen all the time, and it only happens on this site.  I am legally blind, and my computer is configured in such a way it allows me to use my computer.  I also have a software program I use that reads/speaks and has special features I use.  At one time OH recommended I use a light blue and write an explanation in my signature line explaining the issue.  I did both, but people still had difficulty, so I deleted the note and went back to my original settings.  I don't know why this happens...no other website I use do I have this issue.  I know it is frustrating, and I always appreciate people taking the time to highlight what I write in order to read it.  I am clueless over what is causing this.   I always cringe when I see the mistakes when I write.  Some days it is easier for me to read than others.  I tend to be a perfectionist, so seeing my errors really bugs me.  I am learning to just let it, and other stuff go.

dasie
on 3/31/12 12:21 am
The only time I wish I had the sleeve is when I wish I could take an aspirin or now that I am osteopenia due to slacking in my calcium last year I worry if I develop something I won't be able to take NSAIDs.  Other than that one concern I do not wish I had it.  RNY got me where I am today.  I needed more than just restriction.

On2BetterThings
on 3/31/12 12:36 am - Germantown, WI
RNY on 04/03/12
my surgery is on the 3rd.. but i havent heard bout the no aspirin or whatever.. not that it matters because i usually dont take a damn thing! :) its all the same to me! but back to my original question.. so we cant take aspirin ever again? i just want to be aware lol.
dasie
on 3/31/12 12:44 am
You cannot take aspirin, Alieve, Advil...any non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug...it can cause an ulcer in the pouch.  When I am prescribed medication, no matter for what, I ask that specific question.  Due to my osteopenia, my GYN mentioned Boniva in one year.  I received a response from a fellow member that Boniva can cause issues.  Please make certain you fully understand the medicinal limitations you face with this.  You may not need something today, but who knows what can happen ten years from now.  I would still do it all over again the same way, I think.  I'll know down the road if I need NSAIDs and cannot have them.  It is just important to understand the limitations. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/31/12 1:14 am - OH
 No, you cannot take aspirin or any NSAID pain relievers (generic Iniprofen, Motrin, Aleve, Celebrex, etc.) becuse of the risk of ulcers both in the small pouch and in the blind remnant stomach (which is very difficult to treat).  I understand that you might not take any of these things regularly right now, but this is a choice you are making for life and you might NEED those pain medications down the road and not be able to take them.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 375 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 442 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 337 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 149 views
Recent Topics