Help me out - Iron

hedrider
on 4/1/12 10:36 am - Midlothian, TX
I currently take Feosol Carbonyl 2 caplets a day and Proferrin 1 caplet a day.  Feosol is getting harder to find around here and I'm about to have to start ordering it online.  One bottle lasts me 20 days at almost $9 a bottle.  I figure now is as good a time as any to look at different brands, but I want to make sure I'm taking in at least the same amount of elemental iron as I am now with whatever I chose.

I'm looking at Sundown Perfect iron and Vitalady Tender Iron.  So what would my equivalent dose of either of these be to my 2 Feosol Carbonyls?   Each caplet is 45 mg elemental iron so 2 would be 90 mg elemental.  Does that mean I need to take at least 4 of the sundown (at 25mg per) and at least 2 (or 1 1/2 if they can be cut) of the Tender iron at (60mg per)?  Iron confuses me as the different variations have different elemental equivalencies...
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

poet_kelly
on 4/1/12 10:48 am - OH
Sundown and the Tender iron are both carbonyl so they are all elemental iron.  And yeah, you'd take four Sundowns or two Tender irons a day.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

TamaraL
on 4/1/12 12:17 pm
i just got my tender iron from Vitalady.  The one I got was62 mg of elemental iron. Mine is a capsule.   I am taking 2/day because my ferretin is 25. 

rbb825
on 4/1/12 2:19 pm - Suffern, NY
if your ferritin is 25, I would increase your dose to 4 per day - you want your ferritin to go so much higher than 25.  Also make sure you are taking it atleast 2-4 hours away from your calcium and thyroid medication.

Hattie T.
on 4/1/12 1:00 pm - Denver, CO
Kelly, if the Tenders are 62mg of elemental iron, do we really need to take two? Those things are yucky tasting! Let me know..

Hattie
Htaylor46     HW 412, SW 386, CW 309, GW 190      
rbb825
on 4/1/12 2:22 pm - Suffern, NY
it depends on your iron and ferritin levels  - some need to take 1 and some need to take 5. IT all depends.  Most start on 2 and then go from there.  If you have your labs, let me know your iron, ferritin, hemoglobin, hemacrit, RBC and I can try to help you .

rbb825
on 4/1/12 2:18 pm - Suffern, NY
You want to get the vitalady's tender irons but make sure you get the 60mg ones  - the best part is that they have the vitamin C in the capsule, so you will absorb them even better and you can save even more money by not having to buy the extra vitamin C.

They are also pretty cheap - they are $29.99 for  a bottle of 400 capsules.  You would take 2 of them which would give you 120mg and that would give you a boost.

The tender irons are better absorbed than the feosols and are also easier on your stomach and non constipating.  You will like them.  Do you know your iron and ferritin levels?  The tenders work great on ferritin levels which so many people have a hard time gettting up.  You can actually take up to 5 at a time if needed, so if you want to increase the tenders to avoid the proferrin since they are so expensive - you might want to give that a try.

The only thing you need to know - the tenders need to be taken atleast 2-4 hours away from all calciums and thyroid medications.    I take 3 of them at bedtime and my levels are great.  Give them a try.

Most Active
Recent Topics