Hillery's WLS friendly Fish Tacos....

Hillery82211
on 4/4/12 10:40 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
Since I've gotten a few messages about my fish taco recipe, I thought I'd post it here in a separate thread so that everyone could enjoy.  My original fish taco recipe included beer battered fish and this awesome white sauce.  Since WLS, I can't do the beer battered fish but I've found a MUCH more flavorful way to prepare the fish that works much better than the beer battered fish ever did.  I'll break the recipe into two parts...the fish and then the sauce.

The Fish

My original recipe used beer battered cod cut into bite sized pieces (or sometimes I used frozen pre-cooked cod).  You can still use cod, or whatever fish you like.  I would recommend something like Halibut, Pollock, Basa, or Tilapia heck I've even used Shrimp or scallops.  Use whatever you've got on hand or that fits your budget!  I marinate my fish/seafood over night  (I'm lazy but an hour should be enough time) in a citrus based marinade.  There are lots over the counter marinades to choose from  (Ken's Steakhouse, Lawry's,) but if you use an over the counter one, I prefer Goya Mojo!  After the fish has marinated over night, I toss it on the Foreman Grill or on the griddle on the stove (spray them down with Pam or some type of cooking spray to prevent sticking.  After the fish is cooked, I cut into bit sized pieces.

The sauce

There are lots of variations on this sauce.  The version I make most is spicy, but you can adjust to make it less so or even in between.  I'll post the original and I'll make notes on the various substitutions you can make.  This makes 1 cup of sauce...enough for several people.  You can scale the recipe down to make it smaller.

1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream (I now use FF Greek yogurt instead)
1/2 cup reduced fat mayonnaise (I reduced the amount of mayo to 1/4 cup and added an extra 1/4 cup of yogurt or you could just just plain Greek yogurt and skip the mayo)
1 lime, cut in halves
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chili powder (to make less spicy use the same amount of chili powder or for "medium" spicy use 1/8 teaspoon chili powder and 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder)
1/2 teaspoon capers, minced (Olives work well too...you basically want something "briny" ..the juice from the capers works if you don't want to actually add them)
1 hot pepper of your choice, seeded and minced ( I use jalapeno or cherry bomb poppers...omit for mild version or use 1/2 a pepper for "medium" version)
1 ta
blespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (I used freeze dried this time and can't tell the difference.  I'm sure regular dried would work just fine too)

1. In a small bowl, whisk the sour cream/ Greek yogurt/ mayonnaise until well blended.

2. Squeeze the juice from one lime half into the mixture, then whisk thoroughly. You’ll want the consistency of a pourable, creamy salad dressing. If still too thick, add more lime juice from the other half. If too runny, add sour cream. (If you use Greek yogurt, it will not get to this consistency.  It doesn't affect the taste at all so just use the juice of 1 lime and continue)

3. Add all of the spices, whisking to mix thoroughly. Add the capers, minced pepper and cilantro, and whisk thoroughly.

4. Cover the bowl with wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour — the longer the better.

5. Serve chilled.

I serve my fish tacos with shredded cabbage (or use the shredded Cole slaw mix), a slice of avocado, and tortillas.  The tortillas that I use are the small fajita sized ones (La Banderita)..and I don't buy the low carb ones, I just get whole wheat.  The stats on mine are 2 tortillas = 1 serving.  Each serving has 80 calories, 13g carbs and 2g or protein.  Since I can only eat 1 tortilla, that's 40 calories, 7.5g carbs and 1g protein so I'm not stressing over the fact they are not low carb.  If you can find the Mission low carb tortillas then go for it, but for some reason I can't find them at my local grocery store except for the large wrap sized ones so I get these instead.

Enjoy and if you try it please let me know how you like it!

HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Melissa G.
on 4/4/12 11:26 am - Littleton, CO
RNY on 02/27/12
Thanks for posting this recipe.  It sounds really good.  Once I get to eat normal food I will try it.  I have been craving fish tacos.

mablack1973
on 4/4/12 12:10 pm - CT
RNY on 03/15/12
I am going to make these as soon as I can start eating solids again! Thanks for posting!

Mike
"Men are made stronger on realization that the helping hand they need is at the end of their own arm." ~Sidney J. Phillips

Hillery82211
on 4/4/12 2:35 pm - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
If you are early out (less than 3-4 months) I would suggest skipping the tortilla and only eatting the fish with a bit of the sauce and avocado. The tortilla might sit heavy in your pouch. I'm 7 months out and I can barely eat one taco so I tend to eat it open face style. The sauce can also be used as a veggie dip (I make the full version and eat it all week with carrot sticks as a snack).
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Zaniiaim
on 4/4/12 2:47 pm - CA
 Yummy, thanks for taking the time to share :)

Aimee
RNY 3-1-12

RNY Revision 10-4-18

Most Active
Recent Topics