Hair Loss 5 Months Post-Op

michelle.z
on 4/8/12 2:58 am - Barberton, OH

First of all, Happy Easter everyone!
I am 5 months post op as of yesterday, and for the past month, I have been losing hair like crazy!
When I wa**** my fingers have many strands of hair in them, my brush is loaded, and I keep a lint roller with me at all times to pick it up off of my clothes! If I run my hands through it, I get quite a bit in my hand. I knew this was to be expected, and I'm not going bald or anything, but it's quite disturbing! How long does this last? I do eat right and I do take my supplements daily. I also started taking biotin, because I saw a dermatologist on a local news program talking about the benefits of it and hair loss. I just started taking it, so it's too soon to know if it helps.
Can anyone help or offer an answer? Thanks and have a wonderful day!

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
(deactivated member)
on 4/8/12 3:11 am - waukesha, WI
I am in the same boat.  I got all of my protein and vitimans in from day one!  My hair still fell and is falling out.  I don't have much left b/c I didn't have much to start with.   One of the negative side effects from surgery, I am told.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/8/12 3:16 am - OH
 It usually lasts 4 or 5 months.   Biotin will NOT help prevent hair loss, and there is actually no evidence that it significantly helps regrowth either (unless you have a deficiency).  It is simply vitamin B7.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

dawnie55
on 4/8/12 3:37 am - Garden Grove, CA
what is vitamin b7
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/8/12 3:38 am - OH
 Biotin is just another name for B7 (so it not some miracle vitamin, just one of the Bs).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

mikkisha
on 4/8/12 6:00 am - grafenwohr, XX
 I am six months POST op. Actually getting close to seven now. Anyway I am having hairloss STILL, I met with my surgeon last thursday and he actually prescribed zinc. Hair loss will happen, but if it gets too bad talk to your surgeon, maybe your not getting enough of something..............
 YOUTUBE.COM/KISHAGETSSKINNY        
JoRose
on 4/8/12 7:56 am
I am 7 months out and did not have any significant hair loss; I do not know if I am one of the lucky ones who just do not lose their hair. The only proactive thing I did was to use nioxin shampoo; there are different levels of these products based on a person's type of hair; I ordered it off of amazon.com. It was recommend to me by someone who went through chemo. I was no where close in being able getting in my protien and vitamins requirement until I was over 5 months post opt. It is miracle I am not completely bald. By the why the shampoo smells good like, a very strong peppermint. Good Luck maybe the hair loss with slow done and stop when your body can take in "real" food.
Celia S.
on 4/8/12 8:15 am - Grand Junction, CO
My hair loss picked up at 3 months out and now (at almost 6 months post-op) it's finally starting to slow down. I'm still losing quite a bit, but today when I showered, I pulled out about HALF of what I have been used to. Not sure if it's my body turning around on its own, or contributed to my new pregnancy, protein increase, and adding a prenatal vitamin to my regimen. I've also been on Biotin since January, but I never really saw that it made much of a difference.
Nessy2976
on 4/8/12 8:29 pm - MD
 Mine started at 3 months and came out in clumps....8 months out now and it has stopped. I usually have very thick hair, right now it is the thinnest I have ever seen it!!! I also see regrowth, so that is a good thing, but I can tell it will take a long time to get back the lost hair. I am ok with it finally, but I really thought all my hair was going to fall out, I really did. Just like the weight fell off, so did the hair 
 "Patience is bitter, but the fruit can be sweet."                            
Most Active
Recent Topics