This may be weird but

Relic_Goddess
on 4/11/12 3:18 am - Macon, GA
RNY on 03/13/12
 Are we ever going to be able to tolerate ethnic foods?

I LOVED Korean and Vietnamese foods, especially Pho, Bun Cha, Kimchi, and Bolgogi. obviously i'm not expecting to eat copious amounts of it. I'm just wondering if after i get to my solids if these are things i can try one at a time? i know the kimchi is spicy, but before the surgery I was a ethniophile foodie, (if that's even a word?) and have several cook books from around the world. Also, after watching No reservations on my netflix i was reminded of all the things that I used to cook for the dinner parties and things.
mirlyn2012
on 4/11/12 3:25 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
 I'm actually eating bulgogi beef right now on a bed of spinach leaves and I'm 8 weeks out about... I have not tried ALL varieties of kimchi post op but I cannot tolerate cabbage kimchi yet as the cabbage doesn't chew down enough and the fibrous texture just comes right back up in a foam bath.  You could do pho with shirataki noodles I'm sure. Now as for Bun Cha... I'm really hoping one day I can have a small amount of rice noodles (my favorite korean dish is chap chae which uses cellophane noodles) so fingers crossed... Or ddok bboki (rice dumpling.) 

As for the spiciness? I have 0 problems with spice since surgery. :)
      .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.Miranda.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo.      
happy_baker
on 4/11/12 3:33 am
RNY on 02/15/12
 I'm 2 months out, and haven't had any problems with spicy curry, thai, pho, or spicy sushi. 
I had an iron stomach before surgery, and I seem to still have it. :)

Everyone's different, though, so all you can do is sample a bit and see. 
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Check out my video blog!  www.youtube.com/user/HappilyShrinking/videos
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
mirlyn2012
on 4/11/12 3:35 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
Char are you eating your sushi with rice or wrapped in avocado/cucumber/something else?
Relic_Goddess
on 4/11/12 3:37 am - Macon, GA
RNY on 03/13/12
1) I love chop chae 
2) I buy the ahi tuna tower minus the rice, avacado or crab on the bottom as its mixed with mayo
mirlyn2012
on 4/11/12 3:40 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
 My sushi place doesn't have such a monster :). I always just get an order of tuna sashimi and just pick off my buddies' plates to have some variety. 
happy_baker
on 4/11/12 3:49 am, edited 4/11/12 3:53 am
RNY on 02/15/12
I've only bought sushi a couple times since surgery, and bought it pre-made, so it's always in brown rice, and I just peel most of the rice off.

I'd really like to go hit the Drunken Fish and get an avocado-wrapped roll, though. Or a tofuto roll, which is salmon wrapped around a green olive, stuffed into a tofu pastry shell and drizzled in sriracha. *mouthgasm*
_._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. _._._._._. 
Highest weight: 269.  Surgery weight: 233.  Goal weight: 144, and then we'll see.. 
mirlyn2012
on 4/11/12 3:53 am - FL
RNY on 02/20/12
 Oh my goodness! I'd get that in a heartbeat but I'd substitute a different fish for the salmon. Not my type of fish preference :). I want a handroll of spicy tuna with no rice and a half of a crab rangoon. Yep, I want a crab rangoon and my nut says I can have some in moderation :).
sweet-tart2012
on 4/11/12 5:00 am - TX
RNY on 02/16/12
Be careful with the avocado.  (That and ham are the only foods I cannot tolerate.)  The avocado
SLICE must have too much fat for me.  (Mexican)  I had a 1/2 tsp. bite and it was an instant head rush!
LOL      Won't be doing that again for awhile!    Best wishes    

happy_baker
on 4/11/12 5:34 am
RNY on 02/15/12
 I haven't had problems with avocados yet. I had a 1/4 of a whole avo on an egg sandwich not too long ago, and it was delish. But of course, that could change. :)
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 304 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 290 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 148 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views