Just wondering

mpjones
on 4/19/12 2:28 am, edited 4/19/12 2:29 am
I've been reading about how your taste can change after the surgery and I was just wondering WHY this would happen? How could having the surgery affect your taste buds? Also since I'm WAYYYYYYY past menopause can I assume all the post about "raging hormones" will have nothing to do with me? I guess I'm admitting to a gross lack of knowledge of how the human body and the digestive system works but these 2 aspects of having the surgery have really puzzled me.  If anyone has any wisdom they can impart on me I would appreciate it. 
april89love
on 4/19/12 2:36 am - NC
You will probably still have the hormonal effects. It is stored in the fat. Hope you have a successful journey.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Cleopatra_Nik
on 4/19/12 2:39 am - Baltimore, MD
 Well from my limited knowledge a lot of it has to do with hormones. One, called ghrelin, which produces cravings, is greatly diminished because the section of the stomach that is separated makes most of the ghrelin your body uses. 

Your body regains a good deal of its ghrelin production within the first year after surgery but up to that point you can experience changes in taste. Be prepared also for the reverse. You may also begin to like things you always hated. That happened for me. I now love spinach for instance. Hated it before. Love coffee. Hated that before. Didn't hate peanut butter before but it was a "take it/leave it" scenario and now I am obsessed with the stuff.

So it goes both ways. I think a lot of cravings I get nowadays are for stuff my body needs for some reason or another, altho I was using that to justify overconsumption of PB. I meet my body's need for fat these days by consuming approximately one ounce of brazil nuts (lots of selenium). 

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

mpjones
on 4/19/12 5:12 am
Thank you April and Nik.
I'm learning so much from this forum !! If I could lose my taste for chocolate and pasta that would be wonderful-- after almost 15 years of not thinking about hormonal swings can't say  I'm crazy about the idea of dealing with that again-lol.
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 333 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 442 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 427 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 324 views