Calories, 13 mos out - Am I eating enough or too much?

arruncomic
on 4/20/12 11:41 am
I'm 13.5 months out. I've lost 277lbs. Down from 567 to 290. (So Happy!)

I'm burning anywhere from 1500-2000 cals a day through cardio and strength training.

My calories are averaging 1500/day with 100-130 g of protein.

My nut is on vacation, so I thought I'd ask you guys - Am I eating enough?

Thanks,

Bill
poet_kelly
on 4/20/12 11:47 am - OH
Do you want to lose any more weight?  If so, you need to eat fewer calories than you burn.  If you typically burn 1500 calories and eat 1500 calories, you'll maintain your current weight.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cherokeesage
on 4/20/12 1:29 pm
RNY on 02/24/12
Are you still losing?  If not, then you are consuming more than you are burning.  Congrats on such a huge drop in wt.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Ladytazz
on 4/20/12 1:29 pm
Kelly is right.  There is no exact answer.  We are all different and we all have different metabolisms and different activity levels.  So the answer really is, if you are still losing at this rate of calories then you are burning more then 1500 calories a day and you will keep losing until  your body hits the point where 1500 calories is what you need to maintain.  If you aren't losing then you need to eat less.  If you lose too much then you need to eat more.  It's all very individual and just trial and error until you find what works for you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

rbb825
on 4/20/12 1:58 pm - Suffern, NY
it does depend but many people find when they plateau that they arent eating enough.  Your body needs calories to function and if you are burning more than you are consuming - it is a good probability that you might be in starvation mode requiring you to eat more - not eating enough can actually slow down your metabollism.

the best way to optimize your metabolism is to eat 5 to 6 small meals per day - this keeps your blood sugar stable - no ups and down, it decreases hunger and it optimizes metabolism.  For each of these 5 -6 meals, you need to have high protein, low carb, low fat.  You do need carbs but not alot and they should be good carbs.

If you follow this and you are losing, then you should be fine and your protein amounts are good.

LosingSally
on 4/20/12 4:06 pm
All calories aren't created equal.
Carbs, especially white carbs will make you gain.If not yet, then later. So make it your habit to avoid the evil white carbs.
You need a resonable amount of calories to work out.  1500 cals consisting of protein, veggies and whole grain carbs ( you may have to cut out even the whole grains ) will allow you to lose.
After all, unless you lie down 24/7 except when exercising you are buring more than 1500 cals a day.
If you want to lose more weight, also think about raising your calories a couple of days a week, this works for some people so your body doesn't get used to the same level of calories. So do things differently a few days here and there. Then go back to the lower calories.
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 493 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 561 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 547 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 257 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 12 views
Recent Topics