Does anyone take protein pills?

JillieJill
on 4/23/12 4:45 am - NJ
If you do, what kind and how are they working for you?
Sara O.
on 4/23/12 5:18 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12
Does such a thing exist?
jazzycatz
on 4/23/12 5:22 am - Joppa, MD
I don't know of anyone who takes them.  They are not really an effective source of protein for us.  All the ones I have seen range from 1-3 grams of protein per serving and the servings are usually 3-4 pills.  And they are huge.  You would have to take a ton of them each day to even make a dent in your protein needs.

I keep hoping for an effective protein pill. 

ncmdgirl
on 4/23/12 6:17 am
I don't know anyone who takes them. And you should not even think about taking them.  They are not going to be effective in meeting your protein needs.  You should start now trying to look for shakes and greek yogurts that you can tolerate.

The protein shots/pills are a big NO NO for us.  Hope this helps you my dear and good luck :-)
Just a few more steps to wonderland......and believe me I am taking baby steps (ugh).

poet_kelly
on 4/23/12 8:48 am - OH
Since they only have about one gram of protein per tablet, you'd have to eat a lot of them to get any significant amount of protein.  I don't see the point.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/23/12 11:26 am - OH
First of all, you would have to swallow 20 - 25 pills just to replace one protein shake!  That is a LOT of pills to swallow,not to mention a lot of water to swallow them WITH!  They really aren't practical for anyone, let alone those of us with small pouches.

Secondly, the only ones I ever looked at (Proteinex brand) are COLLAGEN protein.  They claim to have all the amino acids needed to absorb the protein (so that is one thing they are over the protein "shots" that don't have all the amino acids and therefore cannot be absorbed), but collagen is an inferior form of protein... so you would ave to take MORE than the 20 - 25 pills in order to get the same benefit of a 20-25g protein shake!

Stick to the protein powders or RTDs.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Lady Lithia
on 4/23/12 12:15 pm
What everyone else said

Also, ultimately, most of the yummiest stuff has loads of protein.

I remember when I realized that I had a good excuse to have the good stuff and skip the starchy stuff, and I reailzed that it's a good deal we have as RNY people

Twice the meatballs and sauce, and only a couple of token noodles when eating spaghetti (which I just age)

Twice the meaty-cheesey filling in a taco, no tortilla

See..... the protein stuff is yummy stuff, and the starchy stuff is just empty caloric filler. We get to almost have unllimited yummy protein stuff (limited by pouch volume) and don't have to worry about the calories because we'll get full very fast on dense proteins, and so we never overdo the calories in that situation.

I can't imagine giving up yummy foods for yet another pill.

Now, of course newly postop you don't have the capacity to eat enough protein because it's tough, dense, etc. That's why there's FAGE yoghurt or other types of liquid or semi-liquid protein options.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/23/12 1:29 pm - OH
I, too, like meatballs with just a few strands of spaghetti.  It gets me very strange looks when I order it in a restaurant with 1/4 the normal amount of pasta and then even stranger looks when I don't even eat all of that!  My family really likes Italian food, though, so we go quite a bit.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 2 views
Recent Topics