Question about Carbs?

Kalyssa
on 4/22/12 9:36 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
 What is a good daily amount of carbs for RNY Gastric Bypass Patients?

Jennifer M.
on 4/22/12 9:45 am - MN
RNY on 02/17/12
 A better question is how much protein are you getting in?  The truth is that there's not room enough in my stomach for many carbs, so I don't bother counting them.  I do avoid bread, pasta, rice, sweets, and potatoes (okay... I'll eat a couple bites of potatoes), though, so the only carbs I get are vegetables and dairy byproducts.  I'm hoping to incorporate fruit again soon, but so far, there hasn't been enough room.

If I were really pressed to answer your question, I think I'd say that I try to keep it under 30 grams, but I don't think I get close to that on most days.

wendydettmer
on 4/22/12 9:48 am - Rochester, NY
 i was never given a number or told to avoid them.  i get a decent amount in through fruits and veggies every day.

my plan is to get adequate protein and eat balanced meals with protein, veg, and healthy starch.  i don't do the starch unless it's beans. i don't eat bread, pasta or grains yet.

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Kalyssa
on 4/22/12 9:55 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
 I am making lunch for tomorrow and I have 1 oz of baked pork chop and apple, I wanted to add some baked beans and green beans.  Just wondering about the baked beans since a half cup has 28 g of carbs, but I am only adding like 1/8 a cup.

Protein-  Ummm still working on that.  I am drinking it but I know I am not getting enough.  Need about 30 more grams a day.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/22/12 9:58 am - OH
 Until you are getting more protein, you shouldn't have more than just a bite of any non-protein items.  The protein is critical to your overall health while the beans and even green beans are not.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 4/22/12 10:08 am - OH
But beans are protein items.  I rely on beans for a good bit of my protein.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wendydettmer
on 4/22/12 10:15 am - Rochester, NY
 baked beans are high in sugar because of how they are made.  i would probably use a different bean source.

poet_kelly
on 4/22/12 10:39 am - OH
I like Bush's vegetarian baked beans.  The OP said she planned to eat 1/8 of a cup, which has only three grams of sugar.  I don't think that's too much sugar.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wendydettmer
on 4/22/12 11:06 am - Rochester, NY
 it's 7, at least according to what she said (1/2 cup has 28 grams sugar).  i wish they made a lower sugar baked bean.  i loved them!

poet_kelly
on 4/22/12 11:12 am - OH
The nutrition info on their website said it was 12 grams for a half cup.  That's for the vegetarian baked beans.  Other varieties may have more.

Most Active
Recent Topics