Pre Op Diet

Hollie313
on 4/24/12 10:23 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
I am on Day 2 of my pre-op diet.  My diet consists of 4 HMR70 shakes, 1 fruit serving, and a modest dinner.  Yesterday, I was so hungry all day that I devoured my dinner like a maniac.  Today, it's still early in the morning and I have no idea how I'm going to get through this for the remainder of my 2 weeks.  My RNY is on May 9th.  How important is pre-op diet?  I don't want to "cheat", but am I supposed to feel this hungry?  It's making me crabby...lol.  ADVICE, please!!

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

baxter1972
on 4/24/12 10:33 pm - NY
RNY on 04/17/12
I too, was hungry.  It is normal and I guess, somewhat intentional.   Whenever I felt hungry, I guzzled a glass off water to give my belly the full feeling or sucked on a Sugar Free hard candy.   Don't give in and cheat.  If you need to chew, pick a watery vegetable (celery, cucumbers, green peppers)...  

The pre-op diest is very important as you are working on that last push to shrink your liver to make room for the surgery.

You CAN do this!  It will all be worth it on May 9th!!!  Remember, it's only short term and we can do anything for 2 weeks out of our lives!

We're all rooting for you!!!
~Sue

HW: 271.8  SW: 245.6   GW: 140    
Hollie313
on 4/24/12 10:37 pm, edited 4/24/12 10:37 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

Thank you, Sue!  I was not thinking about the effects this will have on my liver and surgery.  That thought just might make or break me.  =)  And....I think I'll be heading to the market down the street to pick up some veggies.  I think that's where I failed yesterday.  I ate nothing, aside from 1/4 c of raisins, yesterday until dinner.  THANK YOU for the insight.  =)

PS.... I see you just had yours!!  Congrats!!

Char143
on 4/24/12 10:40 pm - CT
I am also on the pre-op surgery diet and my surgery is on May 3rd...I just had my first protein shake and it was awful.  It was a vanilla Atkins shake.  What other shakes are out there that taste a little better...The vanilla reminded me of barium that I needed to drink for an upper GI..
Sue:  it looks like we will be going at this process together...lets see how we do!!!
Hollie313
on 4/24/12 10:42 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

Char...I am doing the HMR70 in chocolate.  It's not too bad. 

Char143
on 4/24/12 11:11 pm - CT
I am going to have to try that...Where would I get it?
NanaMaLosingIt
on 4/24/12 11:17 pm - OH
RNY on 05/23/12

Try one of the other Adkins protein shakes  like the dark chocolate, caramel caffe (i think that's the name) it's made with real coffee and is really yuuuuummmmyyyy!!!
I'm allergic to chocolate but i love it, weird huh?
I take bendryl when I have a chocolate shake.

I have vanilla too and it is awful but I made a hazelnut coffee and put come in the vanilla and it help the taste.

You also can add fruit to it if you have a blender.
Hope this helps.
sunnydelightinpa
on 4/24/12 11:59 pm - Dawson, PA
You can add things to those protein drinks to make them taste alot better. Instead of water use skim milf. You can also add a teaspoon of sugar free pudding mix to your shakes. It thickens it and gives it a better flavor. You can add yogurt and fruit. A teaspoon of peanut butter and some bananna and it will feel you up for hours.

dasie
on 4/25/12 2:07 am
The only shake I can drink, and trust me I bought a lot of stuff, is the EAS AdvantEdge Rich Dark Chocolate.  It has to be that brand and only that flavor.  Prior to surgery I hated artificial sweeteners, and the smell of whey was nauseating to me.  After surgery it was magnified 10000 percent.  I was not able to get adequate protein until between the 2nd and 3rd month post op.  I worried constantly.  One day when my husband was buying yet another shake for me to try, he just happened, an answer to prayer I have no doubt, came home with the one I mentioned above.  With the first drink I knew I could easily learn to adapt and like that shake. Finally!  I'm  going on 30 months post op, I drink them every day.  He made a mistake and bought the Chocolate Fudge, and I did not like it.  I knew immediately it was the wrong flavor.  The Rich Dark Chocolate masks the sweetener and whey for me.  I don't like dark chocolate but it hides the other flavors.

You might try this brand and flavor.  I hope it works as well for you as it has for me.

Char143
on 4/25/12 2:11 am - CT
Thank you..I will try anything. where would I find it?
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 51 replies · 333 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 442 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 427 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 324 views