Eager to start

jjsparkilzz
on 4/26/12 2:13 am - Selden, NY
 Hello all...
I am in the begining phases of going for an RnY and have all my testing scheduled for June. Has anyone gone ahead and started using the protien shakes and vitamins before meeting with the NUT? Im excited to get going.
Thanks.
jazzycatz
on 4/26/12 3:34 am - Joppa, MD
Some do, some don't.  I started taking a multi.  It really doesn't prepare you for all the vitamins you have to take prior to surgery but it's a starting point. 

I ordered samples of protein shakes.  Don't get a lot as your tastes will change post surgery. But I wanted to try some. vitalady.com is a good source for samples of those.

I think what helped me the most was I immediately began to focus on protein first with my meals before eating anything else.  And I stopped drinking with my meals for the most part.  That last one was a huge help for me, I think. 

Read a lot and research.  Good Luck and Welcome!

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 4/26/12 3:38 am
RNY on 01/10/12
 I started making smoothies with protein powder well before the surgery, but then my NUT yelled at me for drinking calories.  I had been losing weight, too, and then when I stopped the weight loss stopped.

I'm having the same issue now at 3.5 months post-op.  Technically I was supposed to stop protein drinks at 7 weeks, but I find I lose more consistantly if I have one at night on days my protein is a bit low.  I don't see how people get their 60-80g of protein a day just on the amount of food we can eat!  The days I do are the days I mix protein powder in yogurt for one meal a day.

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

ah81164
on 4/26/12 4:27 am - GA
RNY on 04/19/12
Everyone has their own opinion but I personally would not start any kind of shake before you are told to by you Dr office reason being is because I am 7 days post op and I am struggling to get them down. (And I have no choice) I will not be drinking them after Saturday unless medically necessary.  Oops I will have to drink one a day on my next stage.

Good luck

ONE DAY AT A TIME 

Most Active
Recent Topics