Calcium Question

Kalyssa
on 4/30/12 12:40 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
How much Calicum are we suppose to take daily?   
poet_kelly
on 4/30/12 12:43 am - OH
1500-2000 mg, according to the ASMBS.  We can only absorb about 500 mg at a time, so we need three or four separate doses.  And it needs to be calcium citrate, not carbonate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kalyssa
on 4/30/12 12:46 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
Ok that makes since why I am low.  I have been only taking one 600ui a day!

poet_kelly
on 4/30/12 1:01 am - OH
What brand were you taking that has 600 mg in one tablet?  Are you sure that was calcium citrate?

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kalyssa
on 4/30/12 1:53 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
 Centrum Calcium Chews.... I also take the Calicum Citrate gummy gels.

Kelly ?  How can I tell if there is  RDA in the centrum Womens mutli vitimans 
poet_kelly
on 4/30/12 4:28 am - OH
What kind of calcium is in the Centrum?  Is it citrate? 

What brand of calcium citrate gummy gels do you use?  Are you talking about Citracal?  Because those are NOT calcium citrate, they are tricalcium phosphate, which we cannot absorb.

I'm not sure what you mean about if there is RDA in the Centrum multi.  I'm not sure what you mean by RDA.  Usually that stands for the recommended daily allowance, like how much of which vitamin is in there.  For instance, the RDA (recommended daily allowance) of vitamin A is 5000 IU, I think.  On the label, it will be expressed as a percentage, for instance vitamin A 100% RDA.  

Kalyssa
on 4/30/12 12:46 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
 Thanks!
Most Active
Recent Topics