One wee****il surgery

DaniHappy2Bhere
on 5/3/12 4:27 am
Well, exactly one week from today, Thursday May 10th, I will be in surgery. And this pre-op diet has me 15 pounds down so far!!!  I know that some of that is water, but hey, I'll take it! 

I got my pre-op blood labs drawn yesterday, and I have to see the doctor on Tuesday to review and get my script for the bowel prep. I will also be starting the two days of clear liquids on Tuesday. Wow, I cannot believe that I am this close. 

I'm going to Celebrate to order my vitamins now. I decided that for the first month I'm going to use the liquid ENS shake from them. Two shakes every day contains 50 grams of protein, plus all of the vitamins and calcium I need for the day. It's more costly than the chewables, but I think it will be worth it for the first month to make sure I can get everything I need (except for iron) in a condensed form. I'm thinking that I will split that into four times a day, four ounces each. I need eighty grams of protein a day, so I'm also going to get unflavored whey protein to add to whatever else I'm having at a meal. I've collected recipes for protein pudding, jello and broth. I'm having trouble comprehending how I am suppossed to fit 80 grams of protein into a couple of tablespoons at a time. I was told to eat for a half hour to an hour though, so maybe the pouch empties while eating slow? If anyone can explain that, I'd appreciate it.
~Dani 

poet_kelly
on 5/3/12 4:39 am - OH
I think the ENS is a great choice.  BUT, two of those a day only gives you 1000 mg calcium citrate and you need 1500-2000 mg a day (according to the ASMBS) so you will need at least one more dose of calcium.  Also, you'll need B12, either a sublingual, nasal spray or injection.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

DaniHappy2Bhere
on 5/3/12 4:43 am
 Thanks Kelly.  :)  I am suppossed to be getting a b12 prescription to give myself a monthly shot. That is good to know about the calcium. I will be sure to take an additional calcium as well.  
~Dani 

poet_kelly
on 5/3/12 6:28 am - OH
You can get a chewable calcium citrate from Celebrate, but you might wanna think about Upcal D.  It's a powder you can mix in any liquid, or in foods like yogurt.  It has no taste.  And it's pretty cheap.  You're right about the ENS being expensive, but I also think it's worth the cost when you consider what you get and how hard it can be to get down a bunch of vitamins in the beginning.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Vicki D.
on 5/3/12 5:32 am - TX
RNY on 06/12/12
 I am still waiting on a date, hopefully soon. What are the lab test and pre-surgery appointments like? What all do they do? I have my psych. eval on the tenth so I will be sending good thoughts your way -- keep us posted please?
DaniHappy2Bhere
on 5/3/12 11:07 am, edited 5/3/12 11:07 am
 From what I understand about pre-appointments, they vary from one doctor to the next. I had to have an upper endoscopy, a psych. eval, nutritionist appointment and labs. Then while I was under anesthsia during the uper endoscopy my oxygen dropped quickly which indicates sleep apnea. So I had to have a sleep study also. They are suppossed to be hooking me up with my CPAP machine soon. It actually was not too bad for me.
~Dani 

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 508 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 491 views