WHERE is this HUNGER Coming From??!

chatterpam
on 5/7/12 12:37 pm - PA
 OK - I am almost 11 months out and within the past two weeks all of a sudden I am experiencing hunger that I haven't had since before my surgery.  This is the real tummy-growling type!  I have been pretty consistent with my foodies and taking in about 1200 calories, 100 carbs and 60-70 grams of protein a day.  I am drinking my 64-80 oz of water/liquids.  This is NOT head hunger (I get that from tme to time and can usually differntiate it.)

My average food day goes something like this... coffee when I get into work, protein bar (30g) about 10ish... a handful of almonds or Kay's  rotein glutent free snack  about 2... a SF/NF lattee or SF/NF frozen yougurt for about 4... dinner is usually 4 oz meat/poultry/fish and veggie or salad... snack varies from protein shake to half protein bar to Kays protein glutent free snack... and sometimes there are others things thrown in when I have calories/carbs to spare.

Any thoughts?  I am terrified about gaining back my weight.... I don't hadle being hunry well and find myself taking nibbles of things here and there when the hungrie****  I try drinking 16-20 oz of water when I get them and always wait at least one hour after I eat to drink.

Ladytazz
on 5/7/12 12:52 pm
It's not uncommon for some people to start getting more hungry at about a year out.  I would say it is time to up your intake a bit.  I know you are close to goal but adding in a protein shake or snack isn't going to cause you to gain weight.  Another 100 calories or so to start, preferably dense protein, should help with the hunger.  Real hunger is the bodies way of telling us we need to eat more.  The problem is differentiating between real hunger and head hunger.  I have heard some say that real hunger is satisfied with most anything while head hunger seems to crave certain things, mainly carbs, in order to be satisfied.  
Good luck.  You are doing great and you won't mess things up by eating healthy food when you are hungry.  In fact you are more likely to eat badly when you don't address hunger and let it get out of hand.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

BWB
on 5/7/12 12:53 pm
 I am curious to see what others say, but my first impulse is that you need to eat more regular meals in the appropiate amounts at breakfast and lunch.  Your dinner looks good though.  Probably up your protein 10 or 15 grams.  

I'm not a nutritionist.

iisme
on 5/7/12 1:01 pm
Yep...about a year out all of a sudden I seemed hungrier than normal.
When I get really hungry I will eat 1/2 of a pure protein bar and that helps hold me over till meal time.   I like the fact that it takes very little to satisfy now. Before RNY I would down half the kitchen full of bad stuff and still not feel satisfied.

10 pounds loss pre-op
(deactivated member)
on 5/7/12 1:09 pm - waukesha, WI
My hunger came back at 4 1/2 months,  Not like it was before surgery but still hunger.........lucky not a everyday occurance.
Reel
on 5/7/12 4:55 pm
My gosh, I was famished today. Very very famished. I was concerned. The only thing that came to mind was that today and yesterday were the hottest days that I experienced since my surgery. I have no idea if it's related to me being famished. It's the only thing that's changed. 
Somayeh
on 5/7/12 5:08 pm - Fountian Valley, CA
VSG on 05/09/12
Dr. Aceves' office recommends increasing water intake 10-20% on particularly hot days. If I don't get enough water in, I experience something that feels really close to hunger. Maybe add a bit of protein powder to your extra water for an energy boost to hold the hunger back?

Somayeh
Defining success by behaviors, feelings and NSVs!        
Reel
on 5/7/12 5:10 pm
Good advice. I'll try it tomorrow, seems like we are in some sort of a heat spell. It sucks because I hate hot weather. 
grmadeb01
on 5/7/12 10:54 pm - FL
i think you should add some more lean meat proteins to your daily intake.....i only use the protein bars when i am out and about and my sugar starts to drop.....i have a trail mix and protein bar in my purse and all my bags at all times...
add a greek yogurt add some cheese......add more nutrient rich protein rich food to your daily plan....
have a great day
debby
sumueulu
on 5/7/12 10:58 pm
I went thru the same thing, 14 months post op. I find when I eat carbs, I am more hungry. I have been focusing on protein only the last few weeks and I find my hunger has diminished.
Although, in the last few weeks I've noticed I've been eating more at each meal. Can't have tiny tummy forever!
Sarah
Most Active
Recent Topics