Opinions Please or knowledge

cheysma2000
on 5/14/12 10:00 am - Bassett, VA
I almost feel like a failure at this long weight loss journey. I started out in October on the journey to get approved for the rny and do all my pre-surgery tests and Doctor appointments. In total I have lost 70 pounds but only 35-40 since my rny. About 2 weeks after my rny is when I had emergency hernia surgery at a different hospital. I am still having problems even eating semi-solid food. Up until today the doctor that performed the hernia surgery refused to let me exercise at all. He said I could tear open the places until they were completely healed. I won't lie, I was scared of feeling like that again so I did listen. Has anyone here had a problem with nausea for an extended period of time? I still get sick everytime I put anything in my mouth including liquids. Anyway, tomorrow I will start using my treadmill. I am just sad that I am not doing as good as I feel like I should about my weightloss. Also, has anyone here had the extremely dry skin after the rny? I feel like I am itchy from my head to my toes. I have been getting my fluids in but I use crystal light instead of plain water. I guess I want to know if any of this is kinda normal. My best friend had her rny  years ago and she acts like there is something wrong with me because of the different things that have happened since surgery. I really want to do good. I did get to come off my high blood pressure pill and a few other pills that I did everyday. My whole reasoning behind my surgery was to get healthy for me and my 11 year old.If anyone has any great ideas on easy exercise or any ideas for things that will not make me nauseated please let me know. My surgeon has given me 3 different kinds of medicine for the nausea so that just makes me feel like I am falling back into the medicine routine. Thank you all for your help.

Cheysma2000
RNY 3/12/12
Hernia surgery 3/25/12

(deactivated member)
on 5/14/12 10:10 am - TX
RNY on 06/11/12
((HUGS)) first and foremost. Other than a hug, I've got nothing. The only thing I can tell you is to remember no two people are alike and there will be some differences. I hope someone can post something more helpful..
twellington1
on 5/14/12 10:12 am - NH

I had a very rough recovery and experienced a lot of what you wrote about. Constant nausea, could not even keep fluids down.  In and out of hospital and ER for dyhdration.  Everyone has different recoveries so do not compare yourself to your friend or others.  You have lost 70 pounds!!!  That is great!!!  You have been doing your best and trying to follow the "rules"  You have had a couple set backs so don't beat yourself up about it.  70 pounds is a lot of weight!!  Good Job!!!
PS I take a nausea med almost every day.

SuzysJourney72
on 5/14/12 10:14 am - Wilmington, NC
I am sorry you have not been feeling well.  Outside of the hernia surgery the rest of the symptoms you have described sound similar to many others here on the site.  Try to drink as much as you can and get your protien in.  The weight loss will come.  Don't try and beat yourself up that youe are "not doing as well as you should".  After all, everyone's journey is different and we shouldn't compaire ourselves to others and get down that we dont loose as fast as some others do.  Just do the best for YOU and it will come!

Good for you for coming off some of your meds!  That is an incredible accomplishment in itself! 

As far as easy excercise, swimming and aqua aerobics are good choices.  Also you can buy a resistance band (walmart and the like carry them) and you can sit and do some resistance while you build up to other things. 

Good luck to you and let us know how you do!

poet_kelly
on 5/14/12 10:22 am - OH
40 pounds in two months is excellent weight loss.  How much do you think a person needs to lose per month in order to not be a failure?

I had a lot of nausea the first three months.  My surgeon thought the fact that I was not getting enough protein was the cause of it.  He may be right because once I started getting my protein, I felt a lot better.  How much protein are you getting?  How much liquid per day?

You can ask your doc for a prescription to help with nausea, if  necessary.

I get very dry  skin in the winter and I take flax seed oil softgels and they seem to help.  You might also want to get your vitamin A level checked.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

april89love
on 5/14/12 10:40 am - NC
I had very dry skin after surgery. It took a couple of months but it did go back to normal. You have to get your protein up and make sure you are getting enough fluids.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

allys
on 5/14/12 11:33 am
Hi there! First off, I agree with the hugs. Also, like others said, everyone is different! I started off comparing my loss with other people and it was just defeating. Sort of like two coworkers sharing their salary - nothing good comes out of it. People have had all kinds of scary complications after surgery - tell your friend to back off. Hmph. That's a friend?! Anywayyyy, I agree that you're doing great. One of the big lessons I'm learning the hard way is to be patient with myself. Talk to and treat yourself like you would treat a loved one.

On the gentle exercise, how about plain old walking? On the nausea thing, sheesh, I am still feeling it (3 months out). It is much better after I switched the type of iron I was taking (it's Vitron-C now). Not gone, but much better. Maybe the type of vitamins you're taking could be looked at?

All the best to you!
cheysma2000
on 5/14/12 12:10 pm - Bassett, VA
Thanks for letting me know I am not abnormal. I thought 40 pounds was pretty good but I have just felt so rotten, I just didn't know. I am taking my vitamins and minerals in liquid form plus my protein but it makes my stomach quesy too. I guess I just wondered if I was doing ok. Thanks everybody.

Cheysma2000
RNY 3/12/12
Hernia surgery 3/25/12

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 189 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 114 views