??Not enough room for protein??

mamanani
on 5/15/12 7:46 am
I had my RNY 4/27 which puts me just over 2 weeks out.

I can drink up to 10 oz of tea, broth, water, or any thin liquid each hour just fine!
As soon as I take 1 sip of a protein drink I get a big knot in my stomach right below my sternum... I was told thats the "full" sensation.
WHAT??
Ive been experimenting, had 1/2 cup of greek yogurt (plain) went down fine, no knot.
Had a tblsp of peanut butter and 1/2 c. apple sauce with splenda... no knot.
Had a 15g per serving cup of cream of broccoli soup (special bariatric soup) NO PROBLEMO.

Im worried because I get the feeling that protein shakes are a must now...
Im still getting in my protein other ways, today I got 87g total with out a protein shake but still feel off cause I dont drink the dang shake.

any one know what Im talking about?
Is there any reason why I MUST get in the shake if I get the protein elsewhere??

JJ_
on 5/15/12 7:51 am
Protein shakes are to help you at first get your protein in.  If you are getting 87 grams of protein without a shake, then don't worry about it.    As a woman you need between 60 and 80 grams of protein per day.

Congrats on getting what you need.

Judy
H.A.L.A B.
on 5/15/12 9:11 am
As a woman you need between 60 and 80 grams of protein per day.

I think it does not matter if she is a woman or a man. Based on her activity level, her body mass and how much proteins she can absorb - she may be OK with 50 or like me - may nee 120-150 gr per day to have good blood protein levels. 87 gr is a good start. But how amny she will need - only blood work can tell that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

poet_kelly
on 5/15/12 8:18 am - OH
If you are getting 87 grams of protein without shakes, you don't need the shakes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 431 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 510 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 492 views