Total Carbs vs Net Carbs .. Still confused

AUDREY A.
on 5/19/12 2:11 pm - McKinney, TX
Revision on 03/21/12
Sorry to sound so ignorant but can someone please explain to me again what are we supposed to counting?? I understand the part about  Total carbs - fiber - sugars = ????? Where do the
other carbs come from are good???? bad????  Do we just worry about the sugars and sugar alcohols ???    

Thank yall so much..

Audrey

datorres
on 5/19/12 4:50 pm
 Bad carbs are "refined carbs" they include cookies, cakes, chips, french fries, pastas etc. Basically junk food. Complex carbs, the good ones include veggies, fruits, whole wheat pasta, brown rice, etc. The way I try to think of it is if anything has alot of sugar it will have alot of bad carbs. Alot of people subtract fiber from the carb count and that's "Net carbs" 
Price S.
on 5/19/12 10:03 pm - Mills River, NC
Many practices don't count carbs at all, just protein.  I do subtract the fiber from the total but not the sugars.  Basically, eliminate the white, sugar, flour, potato, you get the pix, and you have eliminated the bad carbs.  Most folks consider carbs in milk products and veggies as good carbs.  Carbs in fruit can be ok for some folks and not so good for others.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

MarilynT
on 5/20/12 12:21 am

I don't count carbs. I try to stay away from processed foods (white carbs) and things high in added sugar (junk food) and focus on whole foods (fruits, vegetables, grains and beans....with lean protein and healthy fats thrown in). When I do this I maintain my weight loss without a whole lot of effort.

When I don't do this I gain weight and then I have to "get back to basics" to lose it again.

Marilyn (now in NM)
RNY 10/2/01
262(HW)/150-155(GW)/159(CW)
(updated March 2012)

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/12 12:28 am
There are different way people or companies defined net carbs. Most companies to advertise do not count carbs that do not affect blood the same way simple sugar does. They may advertice : net 2 carbs, but when you look at numbers you will see ie 20 carbs, broken down to 10 fiber 2 sugar and 8 sugar alcohol. The theory is that some people do not absorb the SA. But some or most do absorb that (that's why some of us dump on them) .
IMO fiber is theonly one Carb that can be excluded from net carbs calculations.
for me - the net carbs is total carbs -fiber.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

AUDREY A.
on 5/20/12 6:32 am - McKinney, TX
Revision on 03/21/12
Thank you so much everybody for your input.

Audrey

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 384 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 357 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 322 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 148 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 110 views