Center of Excellence

Kalyssa
on 5/19/12 10:45 am - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
Good Evening Everyone!  I hope everyone is having a great weekend.  I

I am looking for anothe center of execllence in the DC, MD area.  I am not happy with my Doctor and staff right now and just feel that I need to go some place else.  I would want a place that has a great support team and monthly groups.  

It has to be a center of excellence for bariatric surgery,

Thank you in advance
!

poet_kelly
on 5/19/12 10:53 am - OH
Try this link to find Centers of Excellence in your area.  asmbs.org/member-search/

All Centers of Excellence are required to offer patient support groups, and they should be willing to let pre-ops attend meetings.  If you go to a support group meeting, you can talk to other patients of that surgeon and get more information about how the doctor and staff work.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dizzylizzy19
on 5/19/12 1:45 pm - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
Kalyssa -

I'm in the DC area as well.  I'm still pre-op, but so far I'm very happy with Dr. Mayes and Dr. Salameh (Surgical Associates) of the Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington.  It's near Ballston, but right off of 66.  Personally, I have chosen Dr. Mayes. 

They just received their Center of Excellence Certification.  They have monthly support group meetings, a Registered Dietitian on staff (Jenna) and a dedicated RN for bariatric surgery. They also have a monthly newsletter (with lots of information - recipes, etc) and a facebook page where they post recipes and helpful hints as well. They also have been very helpful with every step in the process for me.  I never have to wait long in the waiting room and everyone is very friendly and helpful.  I've called and/or emailed them with questions MANY times and they have always been extremely helpful. 

I would highly recommend them - at this point.  I can't obviously give you a post-surgery experience - as I'm not there yet, but you might want to attend a support group meeting to see other people's experiences. 

This is their website: http://www.surgicalassociatesvhc.com/weight-loss-surgery.sht ml
Adrienne G.
on 5/19/12 2:33 pm - Germantown, MD
 Hey Chica,

I used John's Hopkins Bayview - they are BCBS center of excellence.  There are several doctor's in the bariatrics program and I see Dr. Steele and have had nothing but excellent care (from initial consultation and throughout my post op followups; and including a 6day post op hospital stay)  It has been well-worth the drive    http://www.hopkinsbayview.org/bariatrics/.

Starting weight (12/10) - 346; Surgery day weight (10/11) - 282.4

Hillery82211
on 5/20/12 4:12 am - New Carrollton, MD
RNY on 08/22/11 with
I'm in the DMV area (PG County) and I used Dr. Amir Moazzez at Fairoaks hospital in Fairoaks, VA (Fairfax County).  They are located off of I-66 and VA-50.  You can also get to it if you take the Fairfax County Pkwy (VA-7100).  They have had the Center of Excellence approval for the past 10 years (i think longer but I'm not sure) and they offer bi-weekly support (2x a month) group meetings....one at the hospital in Fairoaks and one in Woodbridge at thier 2nd office building.

I have been very pleased with the pre and post operative care that I have recieved from them and so have all the patients that I've talked to that have used this doctor/group/hosptial.  There are several other patients of this group on the board if you would like additional information on them and thier care/services.

Good luck with your search!
HW & SW: 363     Surgery date: 8/22/11    
Most Active
Recent Topics