calcium=GAG

miranda22144
on 5/21/12 12:05 am - OK
My surgeons office has Calcium chews that they swear by, they think they are yummy like candy.  Well, these chews do taste good at first, and then my gag reflex (which is on extreme heightened stage since surgery) kicks in and I about throw up 3 times before I can finish chewing it.  Anyone else use these calcium chews?  I bought all 4 flavors (lemon, rasberry, chocolate and caramel) since I needed 4 a day.  I just went and ordered plain chewable calcium vitamins to see if I can do any better with them.  Does anyone have an suggestions on how to keep this stuipd gag reflex from appearing everytime I try to take my vitamins? 

volky64
on 5/21/12 12:21 am
I don't do the chews, but I highly recommend the swallowable ones.  I take the petite ones from CVS.  Granted I have to take 2 pills 3 times a day, but at least it's not gagging.  Maybe try them.  Good luck!! 
miranda22144
on 5/21/12 12:29 am - OK
I think my surgeons office said something about we wont absorb all the vitamins from swallowing, I dont know if this is correct or not, but it would be AMAZING to just be able to swallow them!! I will look into it further, thank you!

volky64
on 5/21/12 12:37 am
you're most welcome!! 
i just got my bottle out.  i take cvs brand calcium citrate + d3 miniatures
i've heard that as long as it's calcium citrate,we're good. but def look into it.
poet_kelly
on 5/21/12 12:39 am - OH
The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery disagrees with your surgeon.  They say it's fine to swallow vitamins.  I swallow most of mine and my labs do indicate I am absorbing them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

poet_kelly
on 5/21/12 12:38 am - OH
Well, my suggestion is to try other kinds of calcium until you find one that doesn't make you gag.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

miranda22144
on 5/21/12 1:09 am - OK
Thanks Kelly!  I am glad to know your labs always turn out fine!  I have already ordered the other chewable calcium from bariatric advantage (thats what surgeons office sells) but after Im through with those, I am definetly going to start swallowing more.  I just dread vitamin time because of the gagging!  

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 5/21/12 12:41 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I SWORE I would NEVER order the crazy expensive stuff online so I did chews from Vitamin Shoppe then tried pills from Costco I was sick all the time , finally gave up and ordered calcium from Celebrate and really like them and do not get sick at all , I ordered the lemon and think I will try the choc , I just don't know why I can't find anything local...very frustrating, when when you can't function because you are barfing all day you will spend anything.
This has been the hardest part of the whole thing for me!!!

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

miranda22144
on 5/21/12 1:10 am - OK
I just wish we could get a shot once a month or even week that gave us our whole doses of vitamins to keep us good.  I would sign up in a heartbeat!  This part is the hardest part for me too. 

Cherokeesage
on 5/21/12 12:49 am
RNY on 02/24/12
Celebrate are the only ones that I've been able to stomach at this point.  I'll switch to a less expensive brand if my system becomes less sensitive over time.

Banded  Oct 2008:  290       
RNY Feb 2012:        245    
Dr's set goal:            170 reached Oct 11, 2012
My goal:                     160  reached Dec 1, 2012
Today :                       145-150

I am half the person I was in 2008.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 303 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 223 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?