First Vacation and in Orlando

jdragr
on 5/27/12 12:04 am - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with
I am on my first vacation since RNY in February.  We are in Orlando and doing the park thing.  Hard to find good choices.  Don't see how I am going to get my protein in this week....
SW 296

Tiffani A.
on 5/27/12 12:21 am - Virginia Beach, VA
 I used to work at Disney :). You can bring your own food/ drinks I to the Disney parks. I haven't been in awhile and honestly I didn't care at when I was there because it was pre-RNY so I  can't speak for Universal or Sea World. There is a pretty nice Wal-Mart just off the property so you can stock up on string cheese, almonds, etc. You might want to pick up an insulated lunch bag. Freeze a bottle of water for later in the day and bring a cold one in your bag for now.
Also most of the drink vendors will give you free ice so you can shake up a cold protein drink if you want. 
If youre eating in the Disney parks, try Cosmic Rays in Magic Kingdom in tomorrow land. Its a quick serve place and they have a meal that's rotisserie chicken, potatoes and green beans. It's gigantic so you can share and give away the potatoes. Since I worked at MK I know the most about that park. Many quick serve placed have a salad with grilled chicken. Check in the park brochures because they have basic menus in there. Also there is a dining at Disney app (if you have a smart phone) where you can see full menus.
The sit down places will accommodate most of your requests, so just ask. 
I hope that's helpful. All Disney cast members are supposed to go out of their way to accommodate the guests so just ask.
Sorry I don't know anything about the other parks.
Have fun! I wish I were there :).

LiciaLou
on 5/27/12 12:28 am - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
Cosmic Rays is what I was going to recommend also. They have a little of everything and it is the best bang for your buck. 

Epcot has a restaurant for every country - China/ Beef & Broccoli, Germany / Keibalsa, Greece / Gyro, Mexico / Steak or Chicken fajitas

Universal has a ton of great restaurants outside of the park in CityWalk. There is a Margaritavilla, and I know Emeril LaGasse has a restuarant there.

SeaWorld is a little less "good food" friendly. I would assume they have some kind of cafe though that would have salads or wraps.

Animal Kingdom has a great lil cafe by the Tree of Life (In the center of the park) again where you can get pretty much everything.

Alicia ~ HW 307 ~ SW 287 ~ GW 135 ~ CW 160

jdragr
on 5/27/12 12:30 am - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with
Sorry should have been more specific about which parks. We aren't doing Disney. We are doing Sea World, Discovery Cove, and Aquatica.
SW 296

LiciaLou
on 5/27/12 12:36 am - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
Oh crud ... Yeaaaaa ... In that case ... You're going to want to make a road trip to WalMart and bring a cooler.

Sea World is really more about the animals than the dining experience. They have a bunch of snack bars and maybe a few (2?) restaurants. I know when I went there last I ended up having some nacho's from a snack bar & it wasn't what I wanted but they didn't have jack to choose from.

I've never been to Discovery Cove or Aquatica so I'm not sure what they have to offer but since they are all 3 Anheiser parks I assume they have the same basic setup. Sorry I couldn't be more help. You're right ... There isn't much to offer for protein. Maybe pick up some bags of beef jerky that you can keep in your purse?

LiciaLou
on 5/27/12 12:52 am - Central, FL
RNY on 08/29/12
Ok this was buggin me so I went to the Aquatica Website ....

They have a Banana Beach cafe that you can buy an all day pass (I guess if you are going to be there for lunch & dinner) that is $15 for adults & $10 for kids ...As far as protein selections they offer pulled pork & baked chicken.

They also have a WaterStone Grill which offers a Turkey Burger and grilled chicken salads.

I couldn't find any restaurant info for Discovery Cove. It said that the meals are included in their package but didn't have a sample menu. It said tho if you have special dietary needs to explain that to the cashier when you go to the dining hall.

jdragr
on 5/27/12 12:58 am - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with
Thanks Alicia. Yes, you cannot bring any food into Discovery Cove. I have my quest bars with me so I can take those with me. Yesterday was a travel day for us - 11 hours in the car and even with me trying to get my protein in I failed miserably....
SW 296

Tiffani A.
on 5/27/12 5:01 am - Virginia Beach, VA
 Aww dang! I wish I could be more help to you! I just am not too familiar with their restaurants. 
kidnamedtoad
on 5/27/12 6:26 pm
I just got back 2 weeks ago from Orlando.  It was so hot I hardly ate during the day or it upset my stomach.  I drank a mix of unflavored protein powder mixed with ice water and crystal light.  I was able to get ice water for free from most places.  I saved my eating for when it cooled off. 
Toad         Starting weight: 249 Day of surgery wt: 217  GW: 109 CW 149                                                                    
jdragr
on 5/28/12 4:07 am - AL
RNY on 02/09/12 with
Well survived Sea World yesterday and managed to get all of my protein in. No problem finding water. I ate a grilled chicken sandwich for lunch just took the bread off and for dinner a burger without the bun. Headed there again tomorrow and guessing I will eat the same.

Tomorrow we will be at Discovery Cove where we are not allowed to bring in any food. Hoping their food is friendly.
SW 296

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 427 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 508 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 490 views