lumps and bumps???

MikesJulie
on 5/29/12 10:08 pm - MA
RNY on 02/07/12
i dont know if it is related or not.. i am thinking not but just have to ask.  

Has anyone notices lumps after surgery.  I have a hard pea size lump on my left shin and a larger on on my right shoulder.   They are not mushy like a fatty tissue they are more hard like bone.  Im wondering if they have been there and never noticed due to the weight or if they are popping up due to taking calcuim 3x daily.

just thought i would ask

Julie
 (HW) 246 (Pre op weight loss) 9lbs (Surgery weight) 237  (1mo) 19lbs
poet_kelly
on 5/29/12 10:26 pm - OH
Taking calcium should not cause odd lumps of bumps.  I would get them checked out by a doctor.  Most of the time lumps turn out to be nothing serious but since they can be symptoms of serious things like cancer, I always go to the doctor.  Let's see, I had a lump in my breast once, which went away by itself before the scheduled biopsy; the surgeon said it was probably just a cyst.  I had a lump on my cervix once which was biopsied and turned out to be benign.  I had a weird lump in my arm pit once that went away by itself before my scheduled doctor's appt; and I have an appointment with an ENT today to look at a weird little lump on the inside of my lip which I thought was a wart by my PCP thinks is not.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MikesJulie
on 5/29/12 10:31 pm - MA
RNY on 02/07/12

Thank You Kelly.  they are so hard they feel like bone.  Im going to call the Dr just to be sure.

Good Luck today at the ENT

Julie

(HW) 246 (Pre op weight loss) 9lbs (Surgery weight) 237  (1mo) 19lbs
poet_kelly
on 5/29/12 10:35 pm - OH
I don't get too worried about odd lumps since I know most of the time they are nothing serious.  But I used to work for a hospice and I saw people die because they did not get lumps checked out until it was much too late.  I mean, breast cancer is pretty treatable if detected early.  And I watched people die from it that didn't go to the doctor for a long, long time after they first noticed a lump.  It didn't make me paranoid or think that every little lump I ever feel is going to kill me, but it did motivate me to get them checked out.

I am hoping the ENT will just cut off this thing on my lip today but I suspect he'll look at it, say yep, we should cut that off, and tell me to make another appointment for that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/29/12 11:32 pm - OH
They are likely lipomas -- a very solid form of fat (that is not like the fat you can lose) -- that have always been there but were just covered up by the fat.  Lipomas are very common and are completely harmless unless they grow to be too large and then start causing problems because of their size.  They can range from pea-sized to very large, and you can have just one or two or can have dozens of them.  Surgery is the only way to get rid of them, so they usually just leave them.  Your PCP can probably tell if that is what they are just be feeling them.

I had one the size of a large marble removed from the base of my neck just above the shoulder (was making full neck movement uncomfortable), I have one on my thigh that I will just leave, but I had two huge ones that had to removed because they were impacting my ability to walk. I had one on each hip that developed about 4 years apart, and both were "rump roast"  sized (my surgeon's description to my mom)!   The last one was 19cm (7.5 inches) long, 9cm (3.5 inches) tall, and almost 7cm (2.5 inches) deep.  

Since you take calcium to replace what your body cannot absorb, you don't have an excess of calcium, and are unlikely to develop any condition that is related to too much calcium.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Sonogrrl
on 5/29/12 11:35 pm
RNY on 05/22/12
Could be some kind of cyst other benign mass...there are so many possibilities, and less likely cancerous. But I agree with Kelly, better to get it checked out. Since it's palpable, they could do an ultrasound to see if it's a cyst (fluid-filled) or a solid mass. If it's solid they may just remove it since it's small and easy to feel.
RNY 5/22/12      27.5.bs lost pre-op      
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 309 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 226 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 293 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 0 replies · 16 views