it really, really hurts. hemorrhoidectomy... any way to prolong pain meds?

keepitoff91
on 5/29/12 8:00 am
So, not to get too "tmi", I had my bum fixed today. I was well oaware that it would be painful, my surgeon made that clear. I was, of course, given pain medication to control the pain, and I am splitting the dosages up a bit to try to keep some in my system at all times. Problem is, I seem to be metabolizing the medication rather quickly and have quite a bit of breakthrough pain about 40 minutes before I can dose up again. Has anyone figured out how to slow this down so the meds actually last 4 hours? Ouch! I do not want to constantly be trying to catch up, I want to stay on too of it! I

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 5/29/12 8:06 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
the only way I have been able to stay ahead of the pain on really bad days is to take 1/2 dose Lortab liquid, it wrks fast then 1 hour later take a full Norco bit in half, that is the only thing that can get me to the grocery store or through the night , I don't use it when I am staying home and sitting in my chair all dang day!! or working around the house a little at a time
Good luck and hope you feel better soon

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Lori P.
on 5/29/12 8:22 am - Kenosha, WI
No advice....but I had that done about 10 years ago....at the time I said that I would 10 babies with NO PAIN MEDS before I would ever consent to that again!  It was the worst surgery I ever had .....and I have had a few   :)

Tub baths were a life saver, I stayed in the tub for 2 full days as that was the only place I was even semi-comfortable.   What ever you do....do not allow constipation to occur. 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Ladytazz
on 5/29/12 8:56 am
I've had it done twice.  First time they tried laser and it didn't work.  Without exception worse pain of all surgeries and most of my birth experiences.  Daughter number one still takes the top space for worse pain ever.
The worse part of the surgery was when I needed to go to the bathroom.  Very important to keep things as soft as possible.  Back when I had my surgeries I never heard of Miralax but now I would be taking it at least daily, along with Milk of Magnesia as needed and a lot of fiber.  The last thing you want is to deal with hard stools.
Also, a big problem for me with pain meds is that while they helped the pain they also constipated me terrible, making the pain much worse.  It was a vicious cycle.  Talk to you doctor about non constipating pain meds.
Good luck.  As long as you keep things going smoothly in the bathroom you should heal pretty quickly.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Barbara1965
on 5/29/12 9:03 am - Weedsport, NY
RNY on 06/11/12
I understand what you're going through. I had a busted fissure 7 or eight years ago and it was the most painful experience of my life! I wish I had some advice on the pain meds. But take comfort in the fact that others have felt your pain and I hope others read your post and have some advice.

~Barb~
Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 462 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 513 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 403 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 56 views