NYC Proposed Soda Ban???

clsino
on 5/31/12 10:23 pm
What do you guys think about this?  Personally, I didn't drink sodas that weren't diet so I don't feel that was a major contributer to my weight problem.  I am not sure that legislation is going to fix the growing obesity problem.  My opinion.    Just interested to see what everyone's opinions are on this issue.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/01/11994213-nycs-p roposed-soda-ban-obesity-tonic-or-free-will-fizz?lite

Christy

Cleopatra_Nik
on 5/31/12 10:30 pm - Baltimore, MD
It's a band-aid. I think it's a far more worthy endeavor to create more inviting outside public spaces and increase funding in sports programs in schools and give physical education opportunities. It's our CULTURE that makes Americans fat, not sodas.
Hollie313
on 5/31/12 10:43 pm - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
It sounds like Nazi-ism to me.  While soda played a huge part in my weight gain, it was
MY CHOICE.  I don't believe the government should be SO involved in my life that they
are telling me what is acceptable to drink.  It's the start of communism.  People should
be able to make their own choices, good, bad or otherwise.  Next thing you know,
they'll be telling you when to take a crap.  I just don't agree with it.

Oh....and btw.....why are they wasting dollars (their time that we pay for) on this stuff
instead of taking care of crime, drug dealers, the homeless, the hungry, etc.
I would really appreciate our tax dollars being used wisely. 

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/12 1:50 am
RNY on 04/18/12
I'm sorry...  I don't think this equates to either Nazism or Communism, which are not synonyms.  It does reek a little of the Orwellian "Big Brother," or what people might call the "Nanny State," but knowing what occurred during the Nazi and Soviet regimes, I think calling it either of those is well off the mark.

I do agree with your other sentiments, I just get a bit concerned when people use terms like Nazism loosely and incorrectly.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/31/12 10:59 pm, edited 5/31/12 11:11 pm - OH
I think it's pretty silly, awfully Big Brother-ish, and a complete waste of money since people can still buy TWO of the smaller drinks at a time!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gabbyabby
on 6/1/12 12:09 am

Agreed!!! plus they can still get refills!

soozieq
on 5/31/12 11:04 pm
Just like they tried banning salt in restaurants? *shaking my head*

Why do we need bans on this kind of thing?  When does it come down to personal accountability?

I think Mayor Bloomberg's interests should be focused in other places.
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
(deactivated member)
on 5/31/12 11:12 pm - Round Lake, IL
RNY on 04/20/12
Personally, I too was never a fan of full sugared soda, my pop of choice was diet so I know that regular soda played no part in my obesity.  I do, however think that the government needs to step off on issues such as this.  It is just ridiculous! 
soozieq
on 5/31/12 11:15 pm

I had to come back because I am just so ticked off about this! lol

Why not ban alcohol and cigarettes?  Those are equally, if not MORE harmful to someone than pop.  Seriously.  I think the mayor is off his rocker.

Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
(deactivated member)
on 5/31/12 11:27 pm - Romulus, MI
RNY on 04/25/12
Don't be so sure that DIET SODA did not play a part in your weight issues. There have been many studies about DIET drinks and the chemicals used to sweeten the soda had a major increase for hunger in people. It still raised your blood sugar levels and caused people to become hungry.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 77 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 77 views