Post-Op Questions

eeyoremom2
on 6/4/12 5:49 am - WI
RNY on 06/01/12
So i have been home since yesterday and I had surgery on friday...when the closed my incisions they used glue I noticed the one of my incisions the glue is starting to peel away along with the scabbing isn't it too soon for that to be happening? Also I have not had a BM even though I have been using stool softners and benefitber as recommended is this something I should be concerned aboiut. I am not having trouble getting in all my protien and liquids and I have been trying to make sure I have a veggie witb each meal to help with BM as well. The other question I have is just something I had on my mind a lot of my coworkers who have been through the surgery say th hit a deep depression after surgery did anyone else experience that here? if so when did it hit and how long did it last? Any input from you gusy would be much appreciatred.

5' 2" HW: 240.2 SW: 234.2 CW: 162.1 GW: 137lbs                  

"No dream is out of reach as long as you believe it."

"With faith all things are possible" 

donitta
on 6/4/12 6:22 am - OR
RNY on 05/15/12
I had my surgery on 5/15 and had the same issue with the glue.  I kept it on as long as possible. I've had to start putting bandaids on a couple of incisions - one because it is right where the waistline of my pant****s, so it keeps getting rubbed.  Another incision, the glue came off before it complete closed, so I'm wearing a bandaid.  They seem to heal from the inside out, though so it's just the surface that hasn't healed.

Regarding the depression ... yep!  I didn't read enough here ahead of time to realize this was a possibility.  The first week or so I would just tear up easily; now, I'm depressed and irritable - feels like a bad case of pms!  Unfortunately I don't know how long it lasts ... I hope not long!  I just came back to work today and it's very difficult to have the patience to deal with regular day-to-day issues. 

I'll be interested in hearing how long this lasted for others ...

donitta
HW - 317; SW - 298; CW - 260              
Martajc143
on 6/4/12 6:51 am
RNY on 05/29/12
 I am 6 days post op, I had surgery on tuesday and  discharged on thursday.  I didn't have a BM until Sunday, I had some baby prunes which I think helped.  As for your insicion sites, not sure call your MD and ask if it will be ok, you don't want to get an infection. I haven't hit any depression yet, and I'm hoping not to, everyone is different and not everyone experiences things the same way. Try to stay positive and think about the outcome that we are all working towards. Good Luck
Price S.
on 6/4/12 8:28 am - Mills River, NC
I know all plans are different but I am surprised you are eating veggies already???  I was still on all liquids although I know some folks come home of soft food.  You might try Miralax.  I found it worked better than Benefiber while I was on pain meds.  they slow everything down. And you need extra fluids with benefiber which you may have a hard time getting in right now. 

Your fat stores hormones and they are released when you lose weight.  There are some folks who also have buyer's remorse.  My group suggested an anti-depressant if those things were issues.  You are likely to have some emotional swings.  It helps to know why.

Rest, sip, walk, repeat and things will continue to improve.

LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat  66 yrs young, 4'11"  hw  220, goal 120 met at 12 months, cw 129 learning Maintainance

Between 35-40 BMI? join us on the Lightweight board.  the Lightweight Board

eeyoremom2
on 6/4/12 11:48 am - WI
RNY on 06/01/12
I am on pureed foods for the next 4-6 weeks I was only on liquids day one in the hospital. I havent experienced any depression yet so I am hoping I will be one that doesnt.

5' 2" HW: 240.2 SW: 234.2 CW: 162.1 GW: 137lbs                  

"No dream is out of reach as long as you believe it."

"With faith all things are possible" 

Dee.spunk
on 6/4/12 8:43 am - Sacramento, CA
Everyone is different. My "depression" (if you can call it that) literally lasted one day. My husband came home, I cried for like two hours with him and felt such a relief. I've had mood swings, but not really depression. Just happy one minute, mad the next and sad the next. But nothing bad.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

MaleNurse78
on 6/4/12 10:18 am - Bossier City , LA
 Hmmm maybe this is why I feel like everyone at work has lost their mind and have gone crazy. It is me not them LOL!!! I swear I thought everyone was purposely trying to get on my nerves the last couple of weeks! WOW...... 
garnetgal
on 6/4/12 12:38 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12
 I had no problems with my incision and the glue as I had an open RNY. As for the depression, my doctor explained that it can take 30 days for the anesthesia to be completely out of your system and during that time you may be moody. I did find that I was a "little" more emotional the first couple of weeks. ( crying at things that I normally wouldn't for instance) however, as with all things this to passed pretty quickly. As for the BM,  my surgery was 4/02, I was released on 4/05 and the " big event" happened on 4/09, with no assistance! 

Adrianne_Dawn
on 6/4/12 3:18 pm - WA
RNY on 05/21/12
 I'm exactly 2 weeks out today and I totally had about 2 days here and there where I just felt crappy and so frustrated that I cried and wondered what I was doing. Now with that said I know I made the right decision but my emotions are still a bit wonky.  As for bathroom I'd get on that ASAP! I was super backed up a week and half out and it was literally the worst feeling of my life! More then surgery pain! I couldn't eat anything or even wanted to drink cause I was so nauseated and feeling crappy. I hope to never feel that way again!  Good luck, try not to stress to much. Each day gets easier and more natural. Biggest lesson I've learned is to listen to your body. It knows what it can handle! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 300 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views