Help! Too emotional!!!

donitta
on 6/6/12 4:56 am - OR
RNY on 05/15/12
Help!  I am three weeks from surgery.  The first week I was teary alot then I started getting irritable.  Now it's gotten so bad I want to throw things or break things or just bawl.  It's like the worst case of PMS ever (and thanks to a total hysterectomy, I don't get that anymore).  I contacted my surgeon's office and they referred me to my PCP, saying it's not a side effect of the surgery.  This is making it practically impossible to be at work.  Any suggestions?  Any idea how long this is going to last?
HW - 317; SW - 298; CW - 260              
Hollie313
on 6/6/12 5:01 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
I'm sorry, but the surgeon's office is DEAD WRONG....lol.  I (and a ton of other people
on here) went through the exact same thing.  I think our hormones get out of whack
and our lives and bodies are changing so much that it's hard not to be emotional.  I'm
much better, now.  ((hugs))

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

donitta
on 6/6/12 5:06 am - OR
RNY on 05/15/12
How long did it take you to get over it?
HW - 317; SW - 298; CW - 260              
Hollie313
on 6/6/12 5:36 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
A few weeks.  I'm almost a month out and I think my last "issue" was last Saturday.  I've been
feeling back to normal since then.

swampwoman
on 6/6/12 5:04 am - Hampton, NJ
I would call my PCP and talk to him/her about it.  Perhaps they can give you something short term.  Alot of changes going on.  We have all been there.  Good luck.  Be persistent.
  Today is the first day of the rest of my life!!                          
swampwoman
on 6/6/12 5:05 am - Hampton, NJ
How do I get this tickler off?  I wanted to put 2 like I have seen others do. One with wgt lost one with amount to go.  HELP please.
Hollie313
on 6/6/12 5:37 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
Go to "my oh" and under settings click "message boards".  From there you should be
able to change it.

swampwoman
on 6/6/12 5:52 am - Hampton, NJ

Thank you Holly.  I will try that.

Kay L.
on 6/6/12 5:12 am - N., AL
Yep. Like Hollie said, your surgeon's office is wrong. I have heard time and again of this problem after the surgery, and I had it as well. Hormones are stored in fat cells, and when you are shedding them like crazy, it's pouring into your system. I agree with the suggestion of getting something short-term from your PCP. Another thing is to make SURE you're getting your vitamins, and the correct vitamins, and plenty of rest. Also just walking can help with mood swings and lift your mood somewhat.

I feel your pain and remember it well. Hope it passes soon!
poet_kelly
on 6/6/12 5:44 am - OH
It's normal to be overly emotional for a little while.  Rapid weight loss gets your hormones all out of whack, plus you've had to make huge changes in your life, and you can't rely on food to help you deal with stress right now.

You can see your PCP to ask if an antidepressant might help, but they take at least a couple weeks to kick in, and you might be feeling better by then anyway.  If you really feel it's so bad you can't do your work, I would make an appointment.

But I would also make an appointment with a therapist.  Talking to someone about what you're going through would probably help as much as meds, and a therapist can help you learn new coping skills.

In the meantime, what can you do to express your emotions?  Can you throw a ball or hit a pillow or something like that?  I know it feels kind of silly at first, but sometimes it helps.  Can you write about it?  Maybe write letters that you will not send to anyone, just writing them to get the feelings out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 523 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 507 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 394 views
Recent Topics