I need Help getting my husband on the boat too!

Babbs
on 6/7/12 4:26 am - Charleston, IL
RNY on 06/12/12
 I have been married for 33 yrs to my soulmate.  He too is over wt, 6 ft almost 380ish, with scarey med problems like bloodclots in legs then a few yrs later lungs, Type 2 diabetes, on insulin, not controlled well. And now pinched nerve in neck, shoulder.  I can't get him to eat/cook lowfat or have a WLS.  He is 52 and an electrician, I'm afraid I'll be a xad skinny widow.

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee:  because he trusteth in thee. IS 26:3    

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/7/12 4:41 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
I worry about the same thing, BUT I am NOT responsible for my husbands health , he is. My doc has told him several time"you are next" he says no way , he won't even talk about it.
I just have to remember , it is not up to me, even though I have to live with the consequences

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Babbs
on 6/7/12 11:01 am - Charleston, IL
RNY on 06/12/12
 You are right, thanks Donna O.

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee:  because he trusteth in thee. IS 26:3    

Capt_Kirk
on 6/7/12 4:45 am - WA
RNY on 06/12/12
 Keep at him!  My wife and I are having surgery semi-together.  She'll be 2 months after me, getting the sleeve instead of the RNY.  I initially wanted the surgery, and the wife was totally against getting it for her.  I brought her to a seminar with me, and by the end, she wanted the insurance paperwork too, to fill out.

Tell him you don't want to be a lonely widow :(
BWB
on 6/7/12 4:50 am
Donna is right, unfortunately he has to come to his senses and get tired of the problems from being overweight. However you are probably able to direct the menus and food that comes into your house. You should prepare your meals to be healthy and good without discussing it. It is a hard job, just don't cave into his complaints.

poet_kelly
on 6/7/12 4:55 am - OH
There is no way you can make some one eat a low fat diet or have WLS if they don't want to.  When you were morbidly obese, was there something someone could have done to make you eat healthy and lose weight?

All you can do is be willing to support him if he decides he wants to make changes.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

BWB
on 6/7/12 5:47 am
 It helps if you don't buy it and fix it for them.  

When you were morbidly obese, was there something someone could have done to make you eat healthy and lose weight?

I didn't have an enabler and I didn't have cookies and pastries in the house either.  It would have helped if my husband prepared the meals too.  

poet_kelly
on 6/7/12 6:17 am - OH
It might help if you don't buy it or fix it for them.  But if they want to eat junk food, unless they are unable to drive, unable to walk to a store, unable to prepare any food for themselves, they can still get it if they want it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Babbs
on 6/7/12 11:10 am - Charleston, IL
RNY on 06/12/12
 Right now I am smackin the middle of my pre op diet.   700 cal and sorta not very happy cause water and an apple or a cup of veggies don't fill me up.  So he is on his own.  
I have started diets w him before only to have him eat w me then go to Mcds.  grrr

seattledeb
on 6/7/12 5:07 am
 My wife has lost 100 pounds since my bypass. She wants to be healthier. How we look at food in the house is different. We both wanted pie yesterday so we went to the pie store and split a piece. In the past the whole pie would have come back and I would be eating it for breakfast.
You are going to be a powerful motivator for him. I would let him process it on his terms.
Take care,
Deb T.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 238 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 354 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 113 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 237 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?