low iron

Michelle V.
on 6/14/12 11:56 pm - Livonia, MI
So I got into a little trouble with my PA yesterday at my 6 month checkup.  I found out at my 3 month check up that my iron was low.  So I had some normal iron pills from the store that I had been taking 1 a day.  I double that to 2 a day until I finished the bottle. 

I ordered the proferrin iron & started taking that 2 a day, then at around month 5 I started taking 4 a day (2 early morning, 2 late evening). 

The PA went on a rant that they didn't tell me to switch the type of iron I was taking and that's why my iron dropped again.

I explained I had read on line that the heme iron was easier to absorb which is why I switched.  I was told to switch back to the 65 mg iron & take it 2x a day.  They also gave me some samples from Bariatric Advantage (lemon lime & grape).  The lemon lime tastes awful but I'm eating them.  The grape is ok but I have to take 4 a day cause they are only 30 mg.

She told me to eat more red meat - which is insane because I eat wendy's chili 2 oz for 2 meals a day (M-F). 

Sorry for the long rant.  I have to get my blood work check again in 4-6 weeks to see if I need to start getting infusions.

hedrider
on 6/15/12 12:26 am - Midlothian, TX
 What type of iron is the kind you are taking?  If it's regular old iron, then you probably aren't absorbing it anyway.

I take 2 carbonyl (124mg total) and one heme (12mg) a day.  I've found this combination keeps my low iron within range.

If you're only taking in 2 oz of chili two meals a day, then you really aren't getting much iron at all from the meals.  You need more beef!  :)  I, personally, do not eat organ meats but they are high in iron as well.
Heather
Since 2008 my team has raised over $42,000 to fight breast cancer.

Michelle V.
on 6/15/12 2:11 am - Livonia, MI
I'll have to check what type it is when I get home. 
poet_kelly
on 6/15/12 2:19 am - OH
If it's 65 mg, it's probably ferrous sulfate.  It would actually be 325 mg ferrous sulfate, but that only has 65 mg elemental iron.  And it will make you constipated like crazy.  It is a form of iron that is not absorbed well, either.

Now, the BA iron is carbonyl.  That's a much better choice for us.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lanagirl
on 6/15/12 2:24 am
Wendy's Chili is made with ground beef and TVP. I love it but it doesn't really have all that much meat so 2oz twice a day is not enough to help with your iron.

My iron was also low and I switched from the BA lemon/lime 60g carbonyl iron to the vitalady capsule that has the Vit C in it with carbonyl iron and mine has shot way up. In 3 months it went from 51 to 125. It's the same kind of iron but I guess the added C helped. Or it may be that at 9 months I am just absorbing more from food.

Jenspunky
on 6/15/12 7:48 am
RNY on 01/16/12

What is your actual Iron level?

Mine is 15.  They still want me taking only 2 Vitron C per day.

~Jenna 
RNY 1/16/12

Michelle V.
on 6/15/12 9:25 pm - Livonia, MI
Mine is 31. Pre surgery 41, 3 month post op 32, 6 month post op 31.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 198 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 13 views
Recent Topics