Medications

eeyoremom2
on 6/16/12 4:35 am - WI
RNY on 06/01/12
Is it possible to dump off of medications? I ask this because a few days ago I tried to take my anti-depressant(Effexor, not extended release) and about 5 min after taking it I started to vomit, felt light headed, and dizzy...It was the first time I had tr4ied taking them since my surgery and I am now 2 weeks out. I really think I need something as I can feel myself getting that agitated feeling...I see my psychiatrist in a ciuple of weeks just curoius if anyone else has experineced something similar and had any adivce.

5' 2" HW: 240.2 SW: 234.2 CW: 162.1 GW: 137lbs                  

"No dream is out of reach as long as you believe it."

"With faith all things are possible" 

poet_kelly
on 6/16/12 4:37 am - OH
I can't imagine there would be enough sugar in Effexor to dump on it.  There probably is no sugar at all in there.

How come you haven't been taking your Effexor since surgery?  If you're having trouble tolerating it for whatever reason, I would call your psychiatrist. I  would not wait two weeks for an appointment.  Effexor should never be stopped abruptly because it can cause serious withdrawal symptoms.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Christy L.
on 6/16/12 4:43 am, edited 6/15/12 9:57 pm - TN
I'm surprised you haven't been more sick from NOT taking it. Like Kelly said, Effexor has very bad withdrawals. When I stopped it suddenly and went on vacation I was miserable the entire time even vomiting in a seafood resteraunt bathroom!

Definitely call your psychiatrist and ask if you should start on a lower dose and build back up.

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/16/12 5:32 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 ? committing what? 
Christy L.
on 6/16/12 9:56 am - TN
Sorry, I meant vomiting, stupid smart phone corrected me. ;)

Dave Chambers
on 6/16/12 5:29 am - Mira Loma, CA
From personal experience, I know Effexor can cause issues with high bp in a minority people who take this (WLS pateints and NOT).  I'm wondering if you had recently eating something that disagreed with you a few minutes before taking Effexor.  Most meds don't usually beginning working within 5 minutes when taken orally in pilled or capsule form. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

devalissh
on 6/16/12 6:22 am - TX
most meds take at least 30mins to take effect.
(deactivated member)
on 6/16/12 7:00 am - WA
I am almost 4 years out and the other day I took a Imotrex (never had one before).
I almost immediatley began to feel shaky inside, dizzy, flushed, vomiting. As soon as
all of the pill got out of my stomach I was fine. Doctor told me it was not an alergic reaction
but that I could not "Tolerate" it. He said it was like a dumping reaction. Maybe that is what
happened to you.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/12 11:59 am - OH
After only 5 minutes, the medication would barely have had time to dissolve.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

melindah0108
on 6/16/12 12:13 pm
RNY on 05/22/12
I also take Effexor are you opening your capsule and taking on the beads inside of it or are you taking the whole capsule.  Are you taking it with food?
Melinda

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 320 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 240 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 301 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??