5 yrs out, gaining weight...Advise pls

tkgarner99
on 6/19/12 4:57 am - VA
Hello everyone. I have not posted here in a long time. I am 5 yrs out from surgery now. I got down to my lowest weight in 2009 (125), I am now up to 149. I have been here for almost 1 year and can not get the weigh off. I had my pouch tested and it is fine. I bought the bow-flex tread-climber to help me but i need advise, support and even a pen pal again. I live in Jacksonville, Fl now. I need advise on the best vitamin to be taking. I know it sounds stupid but i haven't taken them in a long time and i don't remember what to take. I am looking for a vitamin that basically contains everything so that i don't have to take a lots of different pills. I also ordered a bunch of Bari Wise protein drinks today. I think I will go on a 7 day liquid protein jump start to get my weight moving again. Any advise and help would be soooo appreciated. Thank you everyone!!!!
This is me 4-27-07, just 3 days before my surgery. 201 lbs    
poet_kelly
on 6/19/12 5:02 am - OH
Unfortunately, there aren't any vitamins that contain everything.  First, it would have to be a HUGE vitamin to fit everything in it.  Second, we can only absorb certain amounts of some vitamins at one time and some vitamins interfere with the absorption of others, so that wouldn't work.

The ASMBS says you need an adult multi that has 100% of the RDA of most things in it.  Something like Centrum.  You need two a day.

You need 1500-2000 mg calcium citrate.  We can only absorb about 500 mg at a time, so that means taking it three or four times a day.

The ASMBS recommends 54-63 mg iron if you menstruate, otherwise they recommend 36 mg.  You need to take your iron at least two hours away from your calcium.

And you need B12, either a sublingual, the nasal spray, or injections.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dasie
on 6/19/12 5:31 am
Kelly...I have never been advised to take iron, but I have noticed lately I seem to be more tired than usual.  I also get confused on what type of iron to take.  Can you tell me what type and maybe even recommend a brand?   My multi has 36 mg of iron.  Is that enough?  I need to find my last labs and see what my levels were.   Thanks

poet_kelly
on 6/19/12 5:33 am - OH
The ASMBS says the 36 mg in your multi is enough IF you no longer menstruate.  If you menstruate, they say you need more.  But of course in the end we should go by your labs.

I use carbonyl iron which I like because it's all elemental iron, we absorb it well and it's less likely to cause constipation than ferrous sulfate and other ferrous-types.  I use Sundown Perfect Iron, which is cheap and easy to find in stores.  Another brand is Feosol, which CVS carries and probably some other stores.  They make a carbonyl and a ferrous sulfate, so if you get that brand, make sure you're picking up the carbonyl one.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dasie
on 6/19/12 5:39 am
Thanks....

brown_eyed_girl_1981
on 6/19/12 5:04 am
First off you need to get your levels checked if you havent been taking your vitamins.  If you have the money to spend the Bariatric Advantage chewables combines multi with b vitamins. It does not contain iron so you will want to supplement accordingly (based on your bloodwork) And you'll need to take extra calcium. I also take a D vitamin. I buy my calcium at Walgreens, but everything else including the b-12 I have purchased online at vitalady.com. I am in the same boat with you, I am finding myself wanting to lose a few pounds but it has become very difficult. At this point we need to work as hard as someone who hasnt had the surgery.
♥Pam♥
RNY  8/16/06  Starting weight 262 / Current weight 152
ORIGINAL GOAL 160/ NEW GOAL 140   
Ladytazz
on 6/19/12 5:08 am
Ok, I'm certainly no expert except on regaining after WLS, for myself.  I know how it feels and even though I had a revision I had it because of side effects, not specifically for regain.  Anyway, a few things come to mind that hit home.
You say that you haven't been here for a while.  That sounds familiar.  I isolated myself from support, especially when I went off track and started regaining.  You have taken the first step by coming back.  Now stick around.
Next,  you have been tested and things are fine.  Good, you have a tool and it can help you if you use it.  You say you have an exercise machine.  Have you been using it?  What have you been eating.  May I take a guess and say it has included a lot of carbs like sweets and breads, pasta and the usual culprits?  Ditch them.  You don't need to go on a liquid protein fast, 5 day pouch test, etc.  All you need to do is toss the junk, go back to what worked, protein first, vegetables and fruits next, whole grains if necessary (they weren't to me while losing).  Report your menu daily here or on another thread.  I go to the Lightweights forum.  Great bunch of people and very supportive.  That will give you good ideas of what to eat but I found that if I stuck with at least 100 grams of protein a day and 100 oz of fluids I didn't have much room (or appetite) for much else.
As far as vitamins, you aren't likely to find any good all in ones.  Have you had your labs done lately?  That is the best place to start.  Vitalady.com has a list of labs to have done as well as vitamins to take for your surgery type.  At the minimum a good multivitamin twice a day and at least 1500 mg of calcium citrate a day, as well as anything else you are deficient in.  Vitalady is wonderful in working with post ops in meeting their needs after surgery and beyond.
It is very possible and likely to get back on track and stay there if you are motivated in doing so.  I have found that a support group is essential in accountability no matter how far out you are.  In fact, for me, the  further out I am the more I need support or I forget that I had surgery and I fall back into old habits.
Good luck to you.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

tkgarner99
on 6/19/12 5:17 am - VA
Thank to all who posted back so fast. Yes, I had my labsdone 3 weeks ago and all my labs a perfect except for B12, so i now get injections. So to put it simple what vitamin combos should i get? I will go look at the vita website now... Thank you all!!!!!
This is me 4-27-07, just 3 days before my surgery. 201 lbs    
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 313 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 229 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 50 views