Narcotic Question

Kalyssa
on 6/21/12 12:41 pm - MD
RNY on 03/20/12
 I am 4 months out and lately when I take a pill form narcotic I get an instant high.  I took a valium last night and was out in 5 minutes.  Prior to surgery I was doing this.  But if I get in my IV it does knock me out.  Is this happening because the stomach is obsorbing quicker?
Zeigled
on 6/21/12 12:47 pm - Parkton, MD
I'm just guessing - not a doctor or anything - but the pill is probably getting to your intestines quicker because you have a smaller stomach and being absorbed faster.  I heard the same happens with alcohol.
HW 357 SW 341   

Lady Lithia
on 6/21/12 1:13 pm
I would speak with your doctor, perhaps you don't need as strong a dose. To my way of thinking regarding Narcotics -- always take the smallest dose that will do the job.

For myself, I get the opposite. Sometimes I have trouble absorbing anything. If I don't plan food around my pills properly, it's like it never happened. My night time pill knocks me out in about one hour. But if I forget to eat with it, it doesn't affect me at all and I never fall asleep.

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

parrothead516
on 6/21/12 6:18 pm - FL
Sometimes i take an Ambien to sleep because i work nights and before surgery i could tolerate a whole one. Now, i take a half and im out.

Scott

Most Active
Recent Topics