Gallbladder is gone

Kelly L.
on 6/22/12 12:48 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 Feeling pretty good. any suggestions on how to keep my mouth moist?

HW 274. CW 129

bugsmommy
on 6/22/12 12:52 pm
Are you in the hospital? Our hospital has biotine mouth wash and little sponges on sticks. We also have lemon swabs but I've heard the mouth wash and sponges are better

Glad you're feeling great, gallbladder issues are no fun.

Cherie
qnmimi
on 6/22/12 12:53 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
Ice chips, SF candy. If you're taking pain meds, not much you can do for they dry mouth. SF popcicles would be good too. BTW...you won't miss that gallbladder at al!!

ShebasMom
on 6/22/12 1:46 pm
Revision on 07/05/16
I had my gallbladder out Monday and went home about 9 hrs after surgery. Are you allowed to drink anything? I was dehyrdrated. I only got 750 ml (25 oz) of IV fluids, not including medications and flushes...which was no more than another 150 ml (5 oz). They gave me IV anti-nausea med, so I was able to drink 18 oz over a few hrs . I kept a bottle of H2O at my bedside to drink during the night. I stopped feeling thirsty Tues evening.

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

Kelly L.
on 6/22/12 1:55 pm - San Jacinto, CA
 I am home. Surgery was at 9 am.. I was home at 1 . I can drink but it's not helping lol.. Just had some watermelon, that was a little better :) thanks for the responses :) 

HW 274. CW 129

rbb825
on 6/22/12 2:08 pm - Suffern, NY
You had the same situation like I did  - 3 hours after I was out of surgery, they sent me home.  I tried to explain that I live alone and needed to stay atleast over night for observation to atleast help me get out bed and to the bathroom but they said, no that isnt there responsibililty.  If I really needed it, I should hire home care.  I couldnt believe it.  It turns out, I had an electric bed from my mom but I literally without that, could not lift myselt out of bed and I asked a few friends to take turns to stay with me for 24 hours - I was really afraid.  I just needed someone to make meals - I was in no condition to be cooking, help me to the bathroom,  if someone was at the door, I couldnt get to the door fast enough  - if I could get out of bed at all.

Dryness is hard after surgery when you arent drinking or eatiing much.  Watermelon is good because it has alot of water but all the painmeds we are on can really get to you after awhile

qnmimi
on 6/22/12 2:01 pm - Cottage Grove, MN
If you are not nauseated there is no reason not to drink. I found out recently with a virus I dehydrate extremely easy, and get pretty sick with the dehydration too.

rbb825
on 6/22/12 2:13 pm - Suffern, NY
some surgeons tell you that within the first 24 hours that you cant drink - they very often when you are still in the hospital have to do special xrays to make every is okay before they will let you drink.  If you go home, that is totally different and you can drink right away.

ericson414
on 6/23/12 10:13 am - Harlingen, TX
 I had mmy gallbladder out a week ago this past Thursday. After they woke me up they broght me a tray with water, sugar free jello and something else I can't remember. As soon as I was able to go to the bathroom I could go home. I was lucky that I had my sister with me and I went back to her house for two days. They said I needed a respondsible adult to stay with.  Friday was the worst day with the pain in the shoulder from the gas and air, I was near tears and the tylenol w/codine wasn't touching the pain, fortunately I had some hydrocodone liquid that I took and within 10 minutes the pain was almost gone, stayed on that until Sunday and haven't had anything since.  I am so glad that I had my sister for help.

Terri

Century Card 150 lbs Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics