Banana ugh!!

Amber Isbell
on 6/24/12 6:05 am - Devine, TX
So, I ate about 1/4 of a banana for breakfast yesterday.  By the time I finished the last bit I was nauseated, then I got horrible stomach cramps, and diaherrea.  I threw up what  would come up, but mostly dry heaved for about an hour and 1/2 off and on.  During the dry heaving i also had two horrible bouts of exploding diaherrea.  I don't recall getting getting sweaty palms.  I tried to lay down but had to continually get to the bathroom.  Finally I put a nausea patch on and fell asleep for about 2.5 hours. The rest of the day/evening I couldn't bring myself to eat or drink anything.

So, this morning I still don't feel very good. I haven't been able to eat or drink anything and I feel just awful.

Today, I am regretting the decision I made to have this surgery and have been wondering If I can be put back together!!!!! I hate going through all of this and I am thinking I'd rather be fat!!!!  I just have no will anymore to continue this journey. 

HW:280, Lap Band 2005-225lbs-LW, Revision to RNY 06/05/12 -245lbs

Mary Catherine
on 6/24/12 6:35 am
 You are way too early out from RNY to be eating any part of a banana.   As you get further along the dumping tends to go away.  Eat protein and stay away from sugars and you will be fine.  This early stage is just temporary.  Most of us were on clear liquids for a few weeks after RNY.  Just because your diet plan allows you to eat certain foods does not mean that your body is ready for those foods yet.  Not eating today is a good plan, but try to sip water so you don't get dehydrated.  This will get better.
ck022492
on 6/24/12 6:38 am
 I think it's far to say we have all felt like that at one time or another... But I promise you it does get better..... Bananas maybe a little to much since your to far out...... Rest take a deep breath and move forward.... 

soozieq
on 6/24/12 6:39 am
Do you truly want to be put back together?  Or is that just how you feel at this very moment?  Don't say things you don't really mean -- because you know things will get better.  You're just having a bad day.

Bananas are very high in sugar.  I had a bite or two of my daughters the other day (and I'm 10 weeks out) and it didn't make me feel good.   Not enough to be sick, but it made my stomach feel blech.  So I know not to eat banana.

I would rather not be fat.  I knew I would need to make some major adjustments to my diet and I am embracing the journey and making the best of it.  You can either hate every step of your journey to a healthier you, or you enjoy it.   Personally, I'd rather enjoy it.  Doesn't mean things will be easy, but I will view each setback as a teaching opportunity to learn and grow from.

I'm sorry the banana made you sick.  
Suzanne    RNY:  4/17/12  -   HW:  267  -   SW: - 256  -   GW:  150           
Dave Chambers
on 6/24/12 6:54 am - Mira Loma, CA
The first few weeks post op, each patient will face somewhat different challenges with food choices.  I'd highly recommend you stick to your surgeon's protocol. Rushing food options often leads to these typ of issue.  This surgery has challenges at times, and get's easier as you get further out from surgery.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 6/24/12 6:58 am - OH
I don't know what your surgeon's plan is, but bananas were on my plan early out.  I see people posting and saying you're too early out for a banana, but on my doc's plan, I could have eaten a pureed banana at one week post op.  In fact, I did eat about half a pureed banana blended up in a protein shake at maybe two weeks out.  It didn't bother me at all.  Everyone is different in how they are affected by the sugar in fruits.  Apparently right now the banana has too much sugar for you.  You may be able to tolerate them later on.

Hope you feel better soon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lillypond...
on 6/24/12 8:11 am
This too will pass-- bananas have a lot of sugar-- that was the first thing I dumped on in the beginning- I put about 1/2 of a banana in my protein shake and boy or boy did I dump, I was sick for 2 days lol. I am almost 2 years out and I still can not eat a banana- I tried 1/2 of one last week and I had the worst cramps and pouch did not feel good the rest of the day. So I can not eat them and will not try anymore :) but believe me it does get better-- having this wls has been the best thing that ever happen to me-- I have lost 185 pounds and feel terrific-- I have reached my goal and I am on maintenance now.. there are 3 things that I just can not eat one is bananas-- beef (like in beef stew) and broccoli, but that is alright cause there is a world of healthy food that I can eat-- take it one day at a time :)
LJ1972
on 6/24/12 8:28 am - FL
I could have bananas early out and did fine. At about 7mths out they started causing problems, so I stopped while I was ahead.

THE_life10
on 6/24/12 8:49 am
RNY on 03/26/12
Pre op Bananas were my fav..

fast forward to now... I'm too chicken to try sugar so i'll just cross this off my list of things to sample..lol

Height: 5'9 Hw: 285 Sw: 272  Cw: 167 Surg. goal: 165

1m: -20 2m: :-18 3m:-10

4m:-12 5m:8 6m:-4 7m:-3 8m-10:-28

BWB
on 6/24/12 9:08 am
hmmm, I didn't know bananas had enough sugar to do that. I stayed away from them when I was a full blown diabetic but I am now showing low potassium so I eat a small one about 3 or 4 time a week with no problem.

Re: the other issue of turning back because of one dumping experience. You can't be serious.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 310 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 227 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 294 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 149 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics