Am I going to fail?

AnaNinaMA
on 6/25/12 12:52 am - MA
RNY on 06/06/12
 I'm 3weeks out and I'm feeling like I was given a blessing I disguise. I have no usual complaints about eating or drinking and I see myself testing my limits. I've been a binge eater since as far back as I can remember and I'm starting to turn to food for comfort once again. I know my limit but I ate a bite of smore, a Dorito, and tiny bite of chocolate, and no dumping. I forget to eat my three meals on time, I'm not drinking my 64onz of water  everyday, the one thing I'm maintaining is my protein shakes and my vitamins are the only thing that I do religiously. I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure...this tool isn't something I want to misuse but dealing with eating issues I know got me to my current weight is sOoO harder  because I knew WLS was going to give my that side affect ppl are terrified of getting and I don't get it. (not that I've gone that far as to get myself that sick) I've not gain weight, I've lost 17 lbs. I've heard sOoO many ppl saying they can't eat more than three spoons of food, I can eat a half a cup, IDK I'm just pondering out loud. Thats why I like this site.

Pholaris
on 6/25/12 1:09 am
Only a relatively small percentage of Gastric Bypass Surgery actually dump. I wouldn't let the fact that you are not "dumping" determine what you should eat. This is a very crucial time where sticking to your plan guidelines becomes important because it creates good eating habits for later on when the restrictions of your puch are reduced.

Please try and focus on your protein, supplements, and getting enough fluids and maybe think about seeing someone who can talk to you about your mentality with food to see if you can cross that mental barrier and become motivated to eat healthier. Remeber the surgery is just a tool, the mental work is still a hard one and unless you address it, you may very well be setting yourself up for failure.
Pregnancy%20ticker
Larry Wassmann
on 6/25/12 1:39 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12
Did any of these issues come up in your psychological evaluation? Maybe you could get some help with these issues. At this stage it should not be that hard to stay away from even bites of things that I am sure your surgeon or PCP would not want you to have. Call your PCP and see if there is anything they can help you with. All is not lost you can still do it, and be very successful.  

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 6/25/12 2:01 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 Do yourself a solid and get the Doritos, s'mores, & chocolate out of the house. You don't eat them.
Find other comforting things. No, they won't be the same as food, but choose them anyway.

Make it easy on yourself, and focus. 

I'm a little further out and am very recently getting the munchies again, so I know the struggle. I bet just about everybody here is on a first name basis with the same issues. They did it. You can do it. You do have to want it, though, and that's not necessarily the same as worrying about it.

Find a therapist with experience in compulsive eating problems.

skabets112
on 6/25/12 2:27 am
I agree with the others, stay away from those foods. I don't want to say that you're setting yourself up for failure, but without working out your food issues (and the issues laying behind those ones) your tool is useless. Eventually, when you get further along, your pouch will allow you to eat as much as you could before. It's a matter of remembering our pouches are TOOLS not fix-alls. Also, if you don't work out the issues now, you might end up with a transfer addiction, that could be one deemed "worse" by society, such as alcoholism or drugs.

"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me"  Phil 4:13

(deactivated member)
on 6/25/12 2:38 am - Bay City, MI
My cheese fix is mozzerella sticks, chocolate - sf pudding... find healthy alternatives that will give you that fix.

Don't beat yourself up. Start fresh today.
manda2108
on 6/25/12 2:38 am
 What does your surgeons plan call for at 3 weeks out? I was on pureed foods then..as far as your question on if you are going to fail..I would take the advice of the others and talk to a therapist and try to get some help. We all want you to be successful you just may need some extra professional help to get there. 

Lisa T.
on 6/25/12 3:43 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12
For me adjusting to eating post-op was much like bringing home my first child. I had to get on a routine schedule. I set alarms on my cell phone to take my vitamins (especially iron at night). I have a specific time range for when I should eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner. I also measure everything. Investing in some 1oz. plastic condiment cups has been very helpful. You can get them at most party stores, GFS, etc. Also, when I am tempted to eat things that are not on my physician's pureed list, I find an alternative. For Doritos try Kelly's refried beans w/taco sauce, ff cheese & a dab of greek yogurt. Cheese sticks, sf pudding/jello, and sf fudgesicles/creamsicles have helped me to stay on plan and still satisfy a desire for summer favorites. The more regimented with planning and monitoring my intake, the more successful I've become. Perhaps trying some of these new habit suggestions will help.

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

Judi J.
on 6/25/12 4:17 am - MN
I went a year with no sugar. I didn't want to know if I dumped or not. At one year we went to Europe and I had to have some gelato or something. I don't dump. Once the sugar door was open I found myself back to good old willpower to not eat it. I suck at willpower. Avoid the bad stuff for as long as you can. Take full advantage of this losing time! Judi
chatterpam
on 6/25/12 5:08 am - PA
I want to say that I am a food addict and have binged most of my life (child, teen and adult). My first thoughts when I saw what you wrote is YES... you are setting yourself up to fail.

We have been given another chance by choosing WLS, and have all of the (technical) information provided at the pre-surgery classes that we need to be successful.

Find a therapist who specializes in eating disorders and GO. If you do not address it, you will not succeed. Until you work through the "why" and retrain yourself what to do instead of binging - you will not stop.

It took me years of therapy (though it may not be as long for you) - there is no quick fix... Not addressing those issues will lead to failure.

Been there - done that - have the tshirt...

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 317 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 235 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 298 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 67 views