Calcium Citrate issue?

ChorizaNicole
on 6/25/12 12:19 pm - CA
RNY on 06/20/12
Hello All,

I was informed after returning home from the hospital from my RNY surgery i would need to start with my vitamins. I use Bariatric Advantage for my multi vit...iron..b12, and calcium. the last few days the smell of my calclium has really been getting to me and making me feel a bit queezy, and today i tried to take tge three tablets and threw the first two up and and did not want to attempt to take the last, have any of you hade this issue?

Steeler-Girl
on 6/25/12 12:34 pm - OH
YES!!! Calcium was very difficult for me at first. I did some looking and eventually found a liquid calcium citrate from Vitamin Shoppe. Solgar is the brand name. This is a very difficult time. Do what you can do to get the most you can in :)
Coach2012
on 6/25/12 1:04 pm
 I didn't start Calcium until 3 months post op..does your surgeons plan want you taking it this soon after surgery? I was told swallowing pills before 3 months could cause upset stomach, so maybe that's the cause if they aren't chewable...if they are and you're still having troubles maybe just the calcium itself? I would maybe call and ask and see what your surgeon or nutritionist says!

poet_kelly
on 6/25/12 1:39 pm - OH
You didn't start calcium for three months?  Wow.  The ASMBS says to wait no more than one month to begin calcium.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 6/25/12 1:10 pm - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
what doesn't work this week might work next week.
I take one kirkland brand calcium, one chocolate from vitamin shoppe and one lemmon from celebrate, seems to work better than taking all pills, at first the pills really made me SICK , I have to make sure that I take them right before I eat.

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

ChorizaNicole
on 6/25/12 1:23 pm - CA
RNY on 06/20/12
Thank you for you replies.
Yes the plan was given in our last pre op course in which the class was informed to began taking the Vitamins as soon as we returned home, however of course they were to be chewable which mine are I believe I will try the chewy bites from bariatric advantage s the ones i have now just make me ill to even smell them

Coach2012
on 6/25/12 1:25 pm
 I love the chewy bites! The raspberry and lemon flavors remind me of Starburst!

poet_kelly
on 6/25/12 1:40 pm - OH
Maybe try Upcal D?  It's powdered calcium citrate, and you put it in any drink or something like yogurt or pudding.  It has no taste.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LJ1972
on 6/25/12 2:42 pm - FL
there are also the calcet creamy bites in lemon and chocolate flavor. They are awesome... more like a treat than a medicine. They can be pretty pricey, but if it helps get the calcium in then it is worth it.
BeccaM76
on 6/25/12 3:44 pm
I take the Bariatric Advantage calcium citrate crystals. It mixes in great with Crystal Light and has no taste.

Most Active
Recent Topics