Drainage? Help!

Kristina41
on 7/3/12 12:00 am
RNY on 06/26/12
I am a week post op, and of yesterday my belly button incision has started draining. Is this normal?
The drainage doesn't smell, and is tinged pink - not bright red.
Now, I feel a pulling around this incision and when I bend and move more drainage comes out. Should I be worried?
Kristina

poet_kelly
on 7/3/12 12:07 am - OH
Yeah, one of my incisions drained like crazy.  I woke up in the middle of the night about a week post op and my tee shirt was completely soaked from it.  It drained like that for at least a week.  If it doesn't smell, if the drainage is watery and not thick and pus-like, if it's not real red around the incision, if you don't have a fever, then it sounds like it's not infected.  Of course you can call your surgeon's office if you're not sure and they can ask you some questions over the phone to help determine if it's a problem or not.  Mine really drained a lot - I tried putting bandages over it and they just got soaked in no time.  I ended up with a folded up dish towel tucked into the waist band of my pants to soak it all up.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Hollie313
on 7/3/12 12:15 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12
Kelly....your site looks great!

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

poet_kelly
on 7/3/12 12:16 am - OH
Thanks!

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amber H.
on 7/3/12 12:08 am - UT
RNY on 06/01/12
 I had the same thing, except mine lasted through my 2nd week. If it doesn't smell and it isn't bright red blood, I imagine you're okay. But, keep it clean. You can always call the nurse if you're unsure. 

RNY: June 1, 2012  HW: 450 GW: 200

Kristina41
on 7/3/12 1:03 am
RNY on 06/26/12
Thanks so much! I am relieved - I thought perhaps I had done too much and opened something up. Right now I have a folded washcloth stuck in my underpants. Sounds lovely, huh?
Poet Kelly - thanks so much for your advice!
I will watch it to make sure it doesn't change. Just sounds like an inconvenience for the next week or so.
Kristina

poet_kelly
on 7/3/12 1:12 am - OH
I know, I felt silly with a dish towel in my pants!  But it drained so much that even several layers of gauze was soaked through in no time, then my shirt was all wet and gross.  At least I didn't have to change the towel every half hour!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 321 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 302 views
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Saturday menu??
Amy Liz · 4 replies · 75 views