Is this dumping syndrome???

acrespin1
on 7/5/12 8:34 am
RNY on 05/16/12
All of a sudden the last few times I have had milk (1% approved by my NUT in moderation) I get very nauseated for about 30 minutes. Its enough that I have to sit in the recliner or go to bed for a little while. I haven't thrown up, I sip about 8oz over 20 min or so, and don't eat anything else with it. No other symptoms, just the nausea.  Any thoughts??

If this is dumping, I hate to see what happens when I have real sugar for the first time!!! lol

Lady Lithia
on 7/5/12 8:36 am
nausea alone is not dumping.

You might now be lactose intolerant (it gives me gas and explosive diarrhea)

but that's not dumping that you are describing

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

acrespin1
on 7/5/12 8:40 am
RNY on 05/16/12
Ok, good. I may have to switch to lactose free milk then :(

mskris8199
on 7/5/12 8:51 am
RNY on 03/06/12
I'm lactose intolerant and my Nut recommented soy milk for the extra protein.  Maybe you could try it.
HW: 292 lbs.  GW:160 lbs.  Dream Weight: 140 lbs.

Lady Lithia
on 7/5/12 9:00 am
I ended up being BOTH lactose intolerant AND I dump on milk sugars... so I couldn't even do Lactaid

About 2 years out from surgery I discovered Almond Breeze (original or unsweetened, the vanilla or chocolate have a lot of sugar) and It's absolutely YUM. Super Yum

My protein shakes I make out of water and crystal light and Fruity flavors.

brandymc24
on 7/5/12 11:09 am - CA
RNY on 06/07/12
 i also got very nauseous and a little dizzy after drinking 1% milk with protein powder so I switched to Lactaid and same thing so I have just been mixing my protein powder with water and it is gross. I am going to Costco tomorrow for the Premier shakes so I can try those.

Lady Lithia
on 7/5/12 11:22 am
I mix my vanilla protein powder with orange crystal light and water and drink out of a flip top sport bottle.... I can't smell it and it tastes like one of those orange creamsicles... yum.

I can't do chocolate in water. I mix it with the occasional hot chocolate in the winter.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/5/12 11:25 am - OH
 Oh, no, that is not dumping... But when/if you do eventually dump on something, you will WI**** was nothing more than what you just experienced, LOL.  Usually if you have to ask if something was dumping or not, it wasn't.  The racing heart rate, shakiness, nausea, and general feeling of being very ill are a pretty unique experience, so you will probably know it when it happens.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

jralbertson
on 7/5/12 1:37 pm - CO
Is it only fats and sugars that cause dumping?  Or, does it also include eating too fast or too much?  I'm only three weeks out and haven't had anything that appears as aweful as you describe.  I've just felt over-full a couple of times and had to make a quick get-away to the bathroom on a couple other occasions. (And still have very loose stool.) I know...on the TMI side...

Lady Lithia
on 7/5/12 2:17 pm
Dumping Syndrome is a specific physiological reaction to the dumping of undigested sugars (and some say fats too) into the intestines. The body rushes a lot of liquid to the intestine to deal with the "problem" and you feel an accelerated heart beat, sweat, shaking, a feeling of being ILL (like ... am I going to die? I feel really awful). SOMETIMES there are also secondary symptoms of nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. JUST nausea or vomiting or diarrhea is NOT dumping.

It confuses some people with the colloquial use of "Taking a dump" which means defecating and so people think it means "diarrhea" or something else that has to do with bowel movements, but it doesn't.

There are a variety of things that can happen to a person with RNY that has nothing whatsoever to do with dumping syndrome (some people argue the point, but it's a specific thing, so you can't argue the definition). If you eat too fast, or don't chew enough, you might get something called "Foamies" which I've been told is sort of like frothing at the mouth with a yellow slimey foam (I've never had the foamies). It's horrible and yuck. Also there's "getting stuck" when a piece of poorly chewed food is stuck in the stoma, I've heard it feels like an elephant is sitting on and lodged in your throat. That can be incredibly uncomfortable, you might try to vomit and dislodge it, but wihtout luck. If it's a meat then you might try a papaya enzyme to loosen it up and move it along. If it's not a meat, then the enzyme won't work. Then you'd want to try to get it out with a sip or two of warm tea, lying on your left side and allowing gravity to do the work, etc. There's also some folks who find certain foods to be tricky. For example, if i eat cooked fish, I get nauseated. I loved Tuna pre-op, but I can't tolerate cooked fish now. I delight in RAW fish (yeah, I'm weird) but I can't eat fish. For ME, this is something that my pouch is sensitive to. I also have issues with pure water, my stomach rejects that. I have to make it slightly acidic or I get nauseous. In addition I became lactose intolerant (I had massive gas in the gut, gas pain, followed very quickly by explosive diarrhea, compounded by the fact that I dump -- and only 30% of RNYers do dump, most don't -- adn I dump on milk which is rare). So I can't tolerate regular milk because of the lactose, and I can't tolerate lactaide milk because I dump.

There's also foods that your pouch might be hit-or-miss on.. My pouch likes about 90% of the steak or beef I offer it. pre-cooked turkey is generally okay. Cold cuts are just fine. but then we get to home cooked turkey, chicken, pork.... those are less and less tolerated by my pouch. I tend to try... but have been known to reject the first bite nad pass on it if it's got the texture I've learned will mess with me. I also don't tolerate scrambled egg (but live on quiche, go figure).

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 371 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 480 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 465 views