I dont think enough can be said

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/10/12 4:49 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 No kidding!
Yeah, I can resist temptation. But when my drug of choice (ahem...baked goods) grabs my ankles and pulls me down, I've got to get outta there.
Good for you for making it out of the bakery unscathed. I'm afraid to enter such dens of iniquity.

jessann5
on 7/10/12 5:10 am - Kansas City, KS
ROTFL!
Dens of iniquity! I love it!

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

pamelatx111
on 7/10/12 3:40 am - TX
Well said!

Laugh Often. Regret Nothing!                               Surgery date 7/18/11
RPick67
on 7/10/12 4:01 am
VSG on 06/11/13
My 14 year old daughter told me she didn't think I should have the surgery.  I asked her why (thinking she was concerned about the actual surgery).  She said she didn't think I would be happy if I couldn't eat what I wanted. I am a food addict. I am overweight because I overeat.   I'm hoping this surgery will help me change my relationship with food. 

Cons. Wt. 394       Surg. Wt. 386        Curr. Wt.  311

Dagne Tripplehorn
on 7/10/12 4:56 am - OR
RNY on 04/06/12
 What you say is true. I certainly can relate.
My big addiction / habit was simply overeating. What it was didn't matter as much as the amount and how fast and freely I could stuff it in. I was willing to give that up, and God and Accident willing, I have left it behind forever.
When  I chose surgery, I decided I would still love food, but for its taste and fabulousness, not for its tonnage. When I joined this forum and found Bariatric Foodie, Eggface, and other sane food lovers who loooovvve food in small, healthy doses, I knew it was possible. 

I'll always love food. There's not a lot of pleasure in my life, but I'm developing nonfood pleasures.  I'm happy to be free of my addiction and still be able to taste yumminesses.

I quit bad relationships. I quit cigarettes. I quit caffeine (mostly). This is no harder than those.

chatterpam
on 7/10/12 5:58 am - PA
Your post certainly hit home for me. I too am a food addict. I knew it in my heart but, like you, never realized the degree to which it has ruled my life.

I went through a greiving process (at times I still grieve). It is a loss. It has been what I celebrated with, mourned with, comiserated with, my confidant, always there whenever no one else was, my lover and my best friend. That is a heck of a lot to lose at one shot.

Now, we are left to deal with life with someone we really never liked or accepted... and that is OURSELVES. Not only is our coping mechanism gone... the layers of fat that have kept us "safe" are being stripped away.

At 54 I am refinding myself, learning to like myself, retraining my brain about doing other things to make me happy or to help me through the rough times.

It is NOT easy.

But - I did NOT go through all of this to fail. I have been given my last best chance at life and I intend to MAKE it.

I have a counselor who specializes in eating disorders and OH has been a godsend!

Have you found help with the emotional things you are going through?

With a hug in thought... Pam

tulips52
on 7/10/12 6:55 am
 What a beneficial post. Like most, I have dieted many times in my life and failed with maintenance. I am trying to follow advice to form good habits (including documenting feelings); hoping to increase my chances being able to maintain. I hope to have a great set of *tools* to use for maintenance. (including noting what the successful veterans advise here) Again, thanks for such a great post!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 201 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 2 replies · 14 views
Recent Topics