Biotin and other vitamins in Gel cap form

Melyssa S.
on 7/20/12 5:57 am - Lauderhill, FL
RNY on 06/12/12
Is there any reason we (RNY's) shouldn't take vitamins in the gel form? They are so much easier for me to tolerate.
HW 247 SW 224 GW 140                  
Winners never quit and quitters never win. Vince Lombardi

poet_kelly
on 7/20/12 6:05 am - OH
You're talking about soft gels, with the oily stuff inside?  We malabsorb fats and oil is a fat, so we don't fully absorb vitamins in oil.  We'll absorb some of them, but it's hard to say how much.  We absorb dry vitamins better.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Melyssa S.
on 7/20/12 6:36 am - Lauderhill, FL
RNY on 06/12/12
thanks Kelly
HW 247 SW 224 GW 140                  

ddematteis
on 7/20/12 8:04 am - FL
 we absorb capsules with dry powder in them though right?
poet_kelly
on 7/20/12 8:54 am - OH
Yes, much better than the things with oil in them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 7/20/12 9:16 am - Mira Loma, CA
I find supplements or scrips in capsule form much easier to swallow. My surgeon's nurse warned about those "enteric coated" pills, hard shelled to make them easier to swallow--your pouch may not have enough stomach acid to fully dissolve these hard coatings. She said she's had some pateints comment on seeing partially dissolved pills of this type in their stool. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Melyssa S.
on 7/20/12 11:09 am - Lauderhill, FL
RNY on 06/12/12
Dave, that is what happened to me with the Klor-Con tablets, I am now on the capsules :)
HW 247 SW 224 GW 140                  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 165 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?